HLine plot on multi time frame charts

  • Nick Ali
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 8:49 AM
      Message
      The attached screenshots show a 3 plot Hline indicator derived from a monthly bar on a daily chart. These are the thick purple lines. OK.png shows the indicator plotting fine. If you scroll a little to the left shown in noplot.png the Hlines disappear. This seems to be because the current monthly bar is now off the page. The Hline should still plot but to the edge of the chart. Needless to say I don't have the screen real estate to plot quarterly and yearly levels as I would like.

      As I mentioned before it would be useful to have an option to have the higher time period bar plot at the location of the first lower time period bar. I think this is how the first series will plot isn't it ? This is more of a request than the hline issue which I think is a problem.

      Thanks,
      Nick.

    • Louis Lin
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 10:16 AM
        Message
        For real-time data (not historical, which is always marked at end bar position), the option is:

        User Preference>Real-time Data>Stamp the last valid bar within the bar location.

        This is actually how 2.9X behaves.  We change the behavior because mix time frame
        indicators and formula becomes ambigious using this plot style.
        -----------------
        Louis Lin
        TickQuest Inc    www.tickquest.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 10:36 AM
          Message
          Thanks Louis,

          The multi time frame stuff is really starting too look very good now.

          Cheers,
          Nick.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1 10:43 AM
            Message
            I have just discovered one more slight wrinkle. With the setting you describe below the HLines display as I would expect unless if you displace them right they still disappear unless you scroll the chart to the left. It looks as if the the displace setting does not take into account the stamp last valid bar setting. I can provide a couple of charts if this isn't clear.

            Cheers,
            nick.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1 10:54 AM
              Message
              Disappearing is design behavior.  If the bar that the indicator depends on is
              not visible, the indicator will be hidden.

              The motivation is people training on historical data wouldn't peek into
              the future through an indicator.

              Please provide charts I misunderstand you.

              -----------------

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1 11:56 AM
                Message
                charts show daily bars with purple hlines based on a hidden monthly bar.

                chart 1 is displacement 0 it shows the lines correctly for this month painting with the daily bar. Notice the short lines for today

                chart 2 is displacement 1 it should show last months lines painting with today's daily bar, it does not.

                chart 3 is displacement 1 also but scrolled over to the left. Last months lines now paint correctly with today's bar.

                it appears if you displace to the right the indicators based on the higher time period bar ignore the setting   Stamp the last valid bar within the bar location

                The behaviour when not displaced is fine. Put another way if you displace the indicator it behaves as if "always stamp the end time of the bar duration" is selected even if it is not. I hope I have explained well enough it is tricky to get across.

                Cheers,
                Nick.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1 1:57 PM
                  Message
                  I hope I get it right.

                  The principle is if the series's time stamp is not visible, then the part of the series
                  is not visible.

                  Displacement does not change this principle.  Otherwise it is possible to use displacement
                  to look ahead.

                  We will see if some feature can be put in for 3.1.  For example, allow drawing of indicator
                  without this restriction.

                  -----------------

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2 1:54 AM
                    Message
                    Hi Louis,

                    Ok I am understanding the principle better at least but I think it is flawed.  Not displaying data if a bar is not actually visible is really not the answer!  This prevents lots and lots of valid data being displayed particularly if it is a bar in the past.  Maybe it was really done to improve display efficiency or something? Whatever the reason valid data is often not displayed.

                    For example if I display daily bars from 5 years ago and monthly indicator (based on a month 5 years ago) flashes on and off as the month bars scroll into and out of view, this is clearly not right. This best shows the problem but there are lots of other examples a couple more follow:-

                    Positive displacement moves an indicator to the right - this means past values of the indicator are displayed today,  not future values at all! I could understand if it was a negative displacement. (Why not allow users to look ahead if they know the risks anyway? That's what the NT pivot indicators do -  they display levels on today's chart based on yesterdays OHLC).  If I want levels plotted

                    I can display things if I have lots of white space on the right edge of my chart and not if I don't?

                    Apart from this I think there is a bug in so far as the part of the code  that checks the new "stamp last bar" setting is not called if your plot is displaced. The bar IS VISIBLE as it is stamped at the beginning. Or possibly NT is ignoring the displacement when it is checking to see if it is visible. Better to just take out the check!

                    Anyway thanks for bearing with me this far :-)

                    Cheers,
                    Nick

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2 7:32 AM
                      Message
                      Displacement is ignored as of now.

                      We will put an option to turn off this safeguard in 3.1.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3 3:21 AM
                        Message
                        I can see how displacement might present problems with multiple time frames particularly on tick charts that 'reset' at midnight. I have attached a couple of charts to a later message that show this clearly, they may be of some use.

                        Turning of the safeguard would make me a happy camper :-)

                        Cheers,
                        Nick.