Fw: APA

  • Edward Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      FW: APA

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: John Finamore
      To: John Finamore
      Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:01 PM
      Subject: FW: APA

      ------ Forwarded Message
      From: "P. Vassilopoulou" <P.Vassilopoulou@...>
      Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:21:38 -0600
      To: "Finamore, John F" <john-finamore@...>
      Conversation: APA
      Subject: APA

      Dear John,

      Could you please forward this message (repeated also in the attachment) to the ISNS members? We have extended the deadline to Feb 15th.
      Many thanks,
      Yiota

      ----------

      Dear Colleagues,

      We are inviting short papers for the ISNS panel for the next APA meeting taking place in San Diego in January, 2007. We welcome proposals from both senior and junior scholars. We have extended the deadline to February 15th, 2006.

      RELIGIOUS LANGUAGE AND COSMOLOGY

      A panel to be held at the annual meeting of the American Philological Association
      in San Diego, January 2007

      Sponsored by the International Society for Neoplatonic Studies.

      Organized by
      Panayiota Vassilopoulou, University of Liverpool, and Taneli Kukkonen, University of Victoria

      Religious experience may take the form of a direct revelation of God in the context of a mystical/transcendental experience or of a discourse, often charged with complex symbolic meaning, through which we may attempt to explain or interpret God's attributes and operation. When Plato in the Timaeus introduced the 'eikos logos' or 'mythos' - a form of discourse which lies between philosophy and mythology, science and art, truth and phenomenon - as the most appropriate means to talk about the relationship between God and the world, he placed cosmology at the heart of religious language. The purpose of this panel is to invite dialogue and new insights into the ways in which Plotinus and later Neoplatonists engaged with the model paradigmatically employed by Plato. How does Plotinus' famous 'mystical experience' combine with his concentrated efforts to construct a form of philosophical speech amply furnished with myths, symbols, and metaphors? What do later Platonists make of cosmological accounts, and how do these inform our understanding of God, the Cosmos, and philosophy itself?
      For presentations of 15-20 minutes' length, abstracts of 500-800 words should be e-mailed to yiota@... and taneli@.... Attached files in .rtf or .pdf format, please. Printed submissions are also accepted: mail to P. Vassilopoulou, Dept. of Philosophy, 7 Abercromby Sq., Liverpool L69 7WY, England UK. The author's name should only appear on the cover letter. The deadline for submissions is February 15, 2006: each submission will be reviewed by two anonymous readers. The panel organizers will inform the authors about the referees' decision and provide feedback on the submissions.

      --
      Dr Panayiota Vassilopoulou
      Philosophy Department

      ------ End of Forwarded Message