Re: [neoplatonism] online pdf and .txt books, articles, etc.

  • curt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2006
      This site: http://www.attan.com/ has quite a few downloadable pdf's that
      are good to have. However, the site is not for the faint of heart - the
      person who maintains it has some rather eccentric views and a very
      idiosyncratic way of expressing them. To put it nicely. It is (just
      barely) worth looking through the site to find the free stuff - like,
      for instance, Woodhouse's biography of Gemisthos Plethon - which, in
      turn, includes a translation of Plethon's De Differentiis.
      - Curt

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2006
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Marc Holman <mdholman69@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Arriving just after perusing the book prices on amazon and
        borders, I'm wondering if I have exhausted the internets supply of
        sites with GOOD selections of neoplatonic materials. I've yet to
        find a site, as frequently exist in other subject matters, with a
        real nice selection of both primary and secondary saources - online.

        > If anyone knows where on the web such rare beasts might be
        hunted, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only grateful recipient of such
        info.

        > Stay Noble,
        > Marc
        > mdholman69@y...
        > ohenry6cats@c...

        The first place might be the Links within our group here. There is a
        lot of material and links at the ISNS site that our former leader
        Cosmin maintains. Not a lot of primary material but some and a lot of
        articles, all first rate and reliable I would say.

        I don't know if you know Greek or Latin or other languages -
        unfortunately the Perseus site, aside from all of Plato and
        Aristotle, in Greek and English, has few philosophical texts of any
        period, including Neoplatonism. Also much as not been translated into
        English, and my own experience is that few works are online, unless I
        have missed them, except of course for the MacKenna translation of
        Plotinus, which is out there on several sites.

        You have to be careful, of course, with the Internet, as to quality.
        Older translations will be used, since they are out of copyright, and
        there is of course a lot of opinion out there, some of it better
        informed and some not so well informed.

        As to getting new books at Amazon or Barnes and Noble, to say nothing
        of alapage.com for French and other European sites, I would always,
        always look at abebooks.com (ABE) first to see if there is a used
        copy. Often with academic press books there will also be remainders
        or even new copies for sale there at a reduced price. For the
        more 'rare' books - like Lewy's book on the Chaldaean Oracles, to
        take a really difficult case, in my experience - it may or may not
        show up there, and if it does others, especially libraries, may be
        vying for it. Walter Burkert's book on Pythagoreanism, which finally
        has been reissued, was before that extremely hard to get online used,
        even though it really is a major work on the subject. I missed by a
        day calling a dealer to get it who had advertised it on ABE, and she
        was beside herself, telling me I was something like the 20th caller
        that morning for the book. But these rarer books can be very
        expensive, sometimes over 100 American dollars. But if you want to
        buy the new edition of the Thesmophoriazusae from Oxford Press, as I
        recall, it will cost you almost 200 dollars. To paraphrase the
        Master, I love Aristophanes, but I love the pocketbook more! (I take
        that one back, how craven...)

        ABE has a wish list, which works very well - they will automatically
        generate an email to you when a copy becomes available. I have also
        done a massive amount of photocopying at UC Berkeley and U of
        Washington libraries. This is not cheap any more. But if you want a
        copy of some older edition, say, from the 19th century - it's not all
        that likely a copy will ever pop up on ABE, though I did actually get
        the ancient Teubner text of Proclus' Commentary on Euclid that way
        and much cheaper than if I bought a new copy from Teubner.

        Also scholarsbookshelf.com has a decent philosophy section and their
        prices are much reduced. Their inventory is spotty, but for instance,
        at any time they usually have some of the Cornell Press series of the
        Commentators on Aristotle available, which go new for like 65
        dollars. They usually offer them at around 25 or so. I have bought a
        lot from them over the years and they are very reliable, unless they
        say the book is on back-order. Then you can forget about ever getting
        it.

        It's not easy, you really have to dig and spend time at it. There's
        also interlibrary loan, which apparently now many public libraries
        have access to. Good luck!

        If I ever win the big lottery, by the way, this all will change. Many
        purple and white volumes with the initials CPL will adorn many
        shelves, at very reasonable prices, maybe even free to many. Just
        like those green and red and now blue ones, with the trot on the
        right hand side...

        Dennis Clark
        Issaquah
      • Beniamino Di Dario
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
          Hello,
          Does anyone knows if there are online the letters of the Emperor Julian?
          I'll grateful for this information.

          Thanx
          .:.BMD.:.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Beniamino Di Dario
            <lupoinvincibile@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > Does anyone knows if there are online the letters of the Emperor
            Julian?
            > I'll grateful for this information.
            >
            > Thanx
            > .:.BMD.:.

            I looked around a bit online, and I don't think they are to be
            found. A number of his orations are at www.tertullian.org, but no
            letter. Sorry.

            Dennis Clark
            Issaquah