FW: CFP: Plato as Literary Author w

  • Cosmin I. Andron
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2002
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Tony Preus [mailto:apreus@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 1:23 AM
      To: Antonio Pedro Mesquita; Burhan Koroglu; Catharine Colobert; Coeli
      Fitzpatrick; Cosmin Andron; D. R. Satapathy; David Henderson; David
      Robertson; David T. Runia; Dirk Baltzly; Dirk Couprie; Dory Scaltsas;
      Emese Mogyorodi; Gad Freudenthal; Geoff Bowe; Georg Woehrle; Hans Ruin;
      Harold Tarrant; Horst Seidl; Inna Kupreeva; J. C. Thom; J. D. G. Evans;
      J. G. Deahl; Jan Van Ophuijsen; John Cleary; John Dudley; K. Boudouris;
      Kyriakos Demetriou; Laurent Ayache; Lindsay Judson; Maria Dzielska;
      Martin Achard; Michael Erler; Michael Klein-Swormink; Oiva Kuisma;
      Patricia Ciner de Cardinali; Patrick Atherton; Pierre Pellegrin; Raoul
      Mortley; Richard Bemelmans; Richard Sorabji; Sarah Broadie; Serge
      Cazelais; Suzanne Stern-Gillet; Till Kinzel; Todd Cronan; Yoav Meyrav
      Subject: FW: CFP: Plato as Literary Author w

      Forwarded by SAGP

      Tony Preus
      Faculty Master, College-in-the-Woods
      Secretary, Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
      Professor of Philosophy, Binghamton University
      Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
      (607) 777-2886, 777-2646, 777-2734 (fax)

      CFP for APA (American Philological Association) San Francisco, Jan. 2004

      Recontextualizing Plato
      Third year of three-year colloquium, Plato as Literary Author

      Organizers: Ruby Blondell, University of Washington
      (blondell@...) and Ann Michelini, University of Cincinnati
      emerita (ann.michelini@...)

      Plato invites us, perhaps more than any other ancient author, to read his
      works as products of the time and place in which they were conceived and
      written. He does so through the wealth of cultural specificity with which
      his works are endowed by various features of the dialogues, including their
      often rich dramatic contexts, their appropriation of historical characters,
      and their use of aspects of contemporary life as materials for argument.

      Yet various factors have militated against our reading Plato in this way. In
      general, canonical ancient authors have often been decontextualized in the
      name of "universality." But this tendency has been further enhanced in the
      case of philosophical authors by the rise of analytical philosophical
      methods. While such modes of study have contributed much to our
      understanding of Plato¹s dialogues, they tend, by their very nature, to
      strip these works of the cultural context in which they were produced.
      Finally, there is a more insidious reason why readings of Plato are often
      not fully grounded in his own historical moment. He himself creates such a
      compelling picture of life in the fifth century, before the death of
      Socrates, that it escapes many readers¹ attention that his own works were
      composed after that time, in a significantly different literary and
      intellectual milieu, and an Athens that had changed both politically and
      socially.

      For the third and final year of our three-year colloquium, Plato as Literary
      Author, we therefore invite papers that examine Plato¹s works as embedded in
      the time and place of their writing, including historical, literary, social,
      political and other contexts. Plato¹s exploitation of archaic and especially
      fifth-century figures, history, and scenes is also relevant to such inquiry,
      both because it reflects the milieu of his own fifth-century upbringing, and
      because the use he makes of it invites analysis of the perspective from
      which he and his contemporaries viewed these earlier times.

      For the APA meetings in 2004, proposals are due by February 1, 2003. Please
      limit text to 800 words and include name and return address on a separate
      page; you may submit by email (preferred) or regular mail. All abstracts
      will be anonymously refereed. Send abstracts to Ann Michelini, POB 788,
      Miranda, CA 95553-0788 (ann.michelini@...).

      If you wish to join our email group on literary topics in Plato, please send
      email to Ann Michelini (ann.michelini@...). We welcome additions to
      the group, even by those not planning to submit papers.

      ---

      Outgoing mail from Mr. C.I. Andron is certified Virus Free.