    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2005
      Just a quick note on the new volume I just got called <Age of
      Justinian> Cambridge, 2005, edited by Michael Maas (of my old alma
      mater, Rice U), which has a essay "Philosophy in the Age of Justinian"
      by Christian Wildberg (pp316-340). I found this very informative
      myself, especially his discussion of Philoponus. Also he has an
      extensive section on one of my favorite subjects, the journey of the
      philosophers to the Persians and their return. He includes what must
      be the most up-to-date bibliography on that subject, I would think,
      which certainly has grown now over the last 25 years.

      I still think this would make a great subject for an opera - if
      Hindemith could write one, with decent, if not overwhelming success,
      on Kepler (<Harmonie der Welt>), then why not this? Given the
      political and religious climate just now at least in the USA, I
      suspect the libretto could be written in such a way as to have quite a
      contemporary relevance.

      Dennis Clark
      Issaquah