Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Burkert: Babylon Memphis Persepolis: Eastern Contexts of Greek Culture

  • curt
    Message 1 of 59 , Aug 15 7:32 AM
      Burkert's book is very good - but Levine's review of it is
      another matter. It is rather odd that a review of this book
      should be used as an excuse to attack Martin Bernal. In
      fact, Burkert does address the Black Athena debate in his
      book - but the way he does so is completely different from
      the way in which Levine addresses the issue in her review.
      Clearly, Levine is misusing this review to promote her own
      criticisms of Bernal.

      In the introduction to Babylon Memphis Persepolis, Burkert
      mentions Bernal (I think twice) - and is gracious and appreciative
      of Bernal's contribution to changing the way in which "foriegn"
      influences on Classical Greek culture are now viewed. But
      where Burkert is gracious and appreciative, Levine is petty
      and dismissive. Now that Bernal has done the heavy lifting
      it is fine for more polite scholars like Burkert to get the recognition
      they deserve for the work they have been doing all along. But
      it is bizarre to try to use Burkert "against" Bernal in the way that
      Levine tries to.

      - Curt

      Melanie B. Mineo wrote:

      > This should prove enlightening!
      >
      > Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2005.07.03
      > http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2005/2005-07-03.html
      >
      > Walter Burkert, Babylon Memphis Persepolis: Eastern Contexts of Greek
      > Culture. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2004.
      > Reviewed by Molly M. Levine, Howard University (myerowitz@...)
      >
      > "With its user friendly tone and emphasis on ideas and interpretation,
      > this slim book makes good on the author's promise to stick to the
      > spirit of its origins in a 1996 lecture series at the Università Ca
      > Foscari of Venice on the now popular subject of cultural exchange in
      > the ancient Mediterranean. Well before Bernal there was Burkert, who
      > here speaks with the authority of one who has devoted a lifetime to
      > once unpopular alliances of Classics with, inter alia, anthropology,
      > evolutionary psychology, and the Near East. Unlike Bernal, Burkert's
      > impeccable classical credentials have made him harder to dismiss,
      > except as a maverick, who like most mavericks with patience, now
      > occupies a sane and centrist position in debates on influences and
      > interactions."

      > Philosophy of
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Philosophy+of&w1=Philosophy+of&w2=Philosophy+of+education&w3=Time+book&c=3&s=63&.sig=aeNCHG6lGXBxXyGsPXvpUQ>
      > Philosophy of education
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Philosophy+of+education&w1=Philosophy+of&w2=Philosophy+of+education&w3=Time+book&c=3&s=63&.sig=ubPu04Qf4f0sN4hD2gz2zg>
      > Time book
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Time+book&w1=Philosophy+of&w2=Philosophy+of+education&w3=Time+book&c=3&s=63&.sig=6DfJHclLfjq3J8VtNPzM1A>

    • gregshaw58
      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 16, 2009
        Thanks Tim.

        Let me say that in the Penelope Weaving thread I found your entries to be most illuminating and I think they stirred up some fine responses all around. Great stuff.

        And thanks for getting those commentaries out at such reasonable prices

        Greg