Re: [neoplatonism] Re: hieroglyphs and gods

  • Frank Moliterno
    Message 1 of 59 , Jul 25 7:20 PM
      On Jul 25, 2005, at 7:51 PM, Melanie B. Mineo wrote:

      > "The belief in the immortality of the soul came to the Jews from
      > contact with Greek thought and chiefly through the philosophy of
      > Plato,
      > its principal exponent,

      Yes. This probably happened during Hellenistic times, when Plato
      visited Egypt. Platonism pervaded Alexandria up to the time the
      Septuaginta was composed. As a Greek text, the translation may have
      owed something to Platonism.

      The Jewish philosopher Philo certainly read various parts of the
      Pentateuch, especially Genesis, from a Platonic perspective.

      One of my own wildest theories about the Hebrew Bible (Old
      Testament)--or at least the version of it that came down to us from
      the Greek--is that it derives from Greek letters. But this comes to
      me only during rather extreme states of mind.

      Certainly Nietzsche thought that was the case for the New Testament--
      and for Christianity in general. He called Christianity "Platonism
      for the masses," or words to that effect.

      Frank Moliterno
    • gregshaw58
      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 16, 2009
        Thanks Tim.

        Let me say that in the Penelope Weaving thread I found your entries to be most illuminating and I think they stirred up some fine responses all around. Great stuff.

        And thanks for getting those commentaries out at such reasonable prices

        Greg