Book recommendations

  • Endymion
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
      Greetings,

      I'm looking for book recommendations on theurgy in Neoplatonism (especially
      in the works of Plotinus, Proclus and Iamblichus but also in Renaissance
      Neoplatonism).

      What other books do you find essential for understanding Neoplatonism in
      general, except the original sources?

      Thanks in advance,
      e.
    • jensav55
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2005
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Endymion" <pmmcof@E...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm looking for book recommendations on theurgy in Neoplatonism
        (especially
        > in the works of Plotinus, Proclus and Iamblichus but also in
        Renaissance
        > Neoplatonism).

        Gregory Shaw's book 'Theurgy and the Soul', on Iamblichus, is
        excellent.

        On Renaissance 'theurgy', I would recommend Ioan Culianu's 'Eros and
        Magic in the Renaissance'.

        Edward Butler
      • curt
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2005
          I would strongly recommend these two books as valuable background
          for the study of Theurgy:

          Proclus: Neoplatonic Philosophy and Science by Lucas Siorvanes
          Hekate Soteira by Sarah Iles Johnson
          Christianity and Paganism in the Fourth to Eighth Centuries by Ramsay
          Mcmullen

          Siorvanes' book gives a good overview of Proclus' life particular and
          Late Antiquity. I am only a little ways into the book so far.

          Johnson's book deals with the Goddess Hekate especially as She appears
          in the Chaldean Oracles.

          MacMullen's book gives an invaluable look at the context in which
          Neoplatonism and Theurgy developed in the years following Constantine's
          conversion.

          None of these books are "how-to" books on Theurgy - not by a long shot.
          I would also strongly recommend both O'Meara's and Hadot's books on
          Plotinus.

          - Curt