Re: [neoplatonism] Plotinus' School in Rome

  • John Dillon
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2013
      Re: [neoplatonism] Plotinus' School in Rome

      Dear all,

      Do we have any information about the location of Plotinus' School in Rome?

      Giannis

      No indications at all, I’m afraid, Gianni. We don’t even know if he held his seminars in the Lady Gemina’s villa — with all the orphans running about!
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2013

        That would explain a lot about certainty vagueness' in the Master's style - he was distracted by the Kinder jumping up into his lap as he attempted to explain emanation to the gathered cognoscenti!

        Who knows? We might well be surprised at the atmosphere in which he did hold his seminars. One thing I wouldn't actually expect is any sort of airy-fairy, incense laced, poorly lit, seance-like proceedings. Was he more like Alan Watts? Direct and rather hard nosed?

        Iamblichus I can see running a very posh high end retreat in Big Sur (not like Esalen!), very fastidious, but with some fawning and well healed admirers. Not that he himself wasn't highly disciplined, but do we think he actively discouraged those crazy stories about him, all the same, such as raising spirits and the like?

        I have just today for the first time in a couple of weeks been able to access the group. I sent several messages to Yahoo support, and they were honestly no help. It appears whatever was really wrong, they finally fixed today. Don't know if others were blocked or not - all my other groups worked fine, oddly enough.

        Dennis Clark

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2013
          Re: [neoplatonism] Plotinus&#39; School in Rome

[...]

          Yes, young Potamon, for instance, was always coming into the study at inconvenient moments, to read verses of his own composition! (VP 9).