Proclus' Elements of Physics, Taylor translation and Lewy's Chaldean Oracles and Theurgy

  • Tim Addey
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
      I've just picked up the recent postings regarding a possible Thomas Taylor translation of Proclus' Elements of Physics as mentioned by Lucas Siorvanes.  Taylor published a second version of his translation of Ocellus Lucanus' On the Nature of the Universe (the first was published very early in his career in the European Magazine in September 1782): this second version (1831) added "Select Theorems on the Perpetuity of Time" from Proclus "extracted from the second book of Proclus on motion."  This was published by the Prometheus Trust as one amongst a great number of small works under the title of Collected Writings on the Gods and the World - the fourth volume in the Thomas Taylor Series, and still available, as are all our publications.

      Which brings me on to another issue:

      I see from the booksellers' listings that there was an edition of Lewy's Chaldean Oracles and Theurgy published in 2011 - but it seems to be completely unobtainable now.  Given the short time between then and now, this seems to be an odd state of affairs: does anyone know if there are plans to reprint it?  Or why it went out of print so quickly?

      Or - and this is a bit a long shot - if there are any non-internet-listed bookshops that might have a copy?

      Speaking with my publisher's hat on, I find it difficult to understand why books with an almost indefinite shelf-life are allowed to go out of print given the ease with which books can be held on short-run or print-on-demand technology based systems: if anyone has any influence of the publishers, please given them a nudge towards these solutions.  (Or get them to pass on the rights to those of us willing to keep things in print for a decent time!)

      Tim Addey

    • marcusaurelius09
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 26, 2013

         Thank you so much Tim, mystery solved -  looks like about half of book two - I'm a big fan of Taylor, so it's nice to hear from someone from Prometheus Trust. Peace, Mark.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2014

          Greetings all:

          Just uploaded, a paper on Proclus' Elements of Physics, nice to see it getting some interest, hopefully his Commentary on Ptolemy will follow suit:

          https://www.academia.edu/8167488/Epistemological_Aspects_of_the_Elements_of_Physics_of_Proclus