On the Months by Johannes Lydus (Author), Translated by Mario Basile (Author)

  • hermesisback
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2013

      The first translation of this essential book.

      A must to read!

      Beside this text, I want also highlight the very interesting notes which bring more light and understanding for those who don't know the implicit ideas.

      No doubt that Lydos would be proud!

      ______

      Ioannes Lydos in this book does not only explain the origin of the calendar and of the months, but also exposes the ancient Roman festivals and the celebrations to the Immortal Gods. Besides, he writes about history, geography, astronomy, biology, changing subject continuously, like if there were too little time to tell all what was to be told. One of the most interesting aspects of the book is the ancient wisdom in terms of metaphysics. The author show us the way toward the world of Pythagorean numerology, explaining the deep meaning of each number in a Neoplatonic perspective. There is also a very important theological interpretation on several Gods, in the frame of a hyletic-psychic-noetic perspective of our world.

      This translation offers an open window over an ancient world that has still a lot to say to anyone who, today, is looking for the meaning of this life.

      http://www.amazon.com/On-the-Months-ebook/dp/B00F2G4P0I/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1378740905&sr=1-1&keywords=on+the+months