Re: conference at Cardiff, alchemy, prayer

  • Ted Hand
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 27, 2013
      While we're on the topic of alchemy I'd like to highlight the
      research of two other promising young scholars that I'm very
      excited about: Jenny Rampling, who is working on the Ripley
      scrolls, and Peter Forshaw, who is working on Khunrath.

      http://alchemicaldiagrams.blogspot.com/2011/11/jenny-rampling-podcast-on-alchemy-and.html
      http://cambridge.academia.edu/JenniferRampling

      http://uva.academia.edu/PeterForshaw
      http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcxLzXeJ4FPi09-rpQGcscylHEhxEA8ws

      Finally, Wouter Hanegraaff has some excellent remarks on the
      historiographical
      problems of ["spiritual"?] alchemy in his recent "Esotericism and the
      Academy"

      best,
      Ted

    • John Dillon
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 28, 2013

        > Dear Tzvi,
        >
        > Thank you for referring so positively to my article.
        > Thanks also to Ted Hand for posting it.
        > I think I was too harsh with Principe and Newman, at the time when I wrote the
        > article. Otherwise, I think that both of them did and do a good job concerning
        > the
        > practical side of alchemy. My main concern was to see how much one can grasp
        > from alchemical texts (as Aurora Consurgens, or those of Zosimus; in my paper
        > I had as case study Early Modern texts, which can not be understood without
        > the background of Renaissance Neoplatonism) with their paradigms, which can be
        > seen as an extreme reaction to Eliade and Jung.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Florin
        > n.b. I advertised Olivier's paper on Zosimus at Cardiff before he himself
        > referred to it in the list, but somehow my e-mail was pending for a few days,
        > since I just registered to the e-mail list. I hope that I did not create too
        > much confusion.

        > Florin George Calian
        > PhD Candidate
        > Department
        > of Philosophy
        > Central European University, Budapest
        > http://www.ceu.hu/node/21009

        Dear Florin, That is a nice recognition of your article. It is an
        interesting chat-group, in general! JMD