Re: [neoplatonism] Re: conference at Cardiff, alchemy, prayer

  • Tzvi Langermann
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 26, 2013
      The paper referred to by Ted Hand is in fact the paper written by Florin George and mentioned in his posting, and it is the paper that I cite in my article on Delmedigo and referred to anonymously in my posting. It's encouraging to see such high quality studies published by graduate students!
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 27, 2013
        Dear Tzvi,

        Thank you for referring so positively to my article.
        Thanks also to Ted Hand for posting it.
        I think I was too harsh with Principe and Newman, at the time when I wrote the article. Otherwise, I think that both of them did and do a good job concerning the
        practical side of alchemy. My main concern was to see how much one can grasp from alchemical texts (as Aurora Consurgens, or those of Zosimus; in my paper I had as case study Early Modern texts, which can not be understood without the background of Renaissance Neoplatonism) with their paradigms, which can be seen as an extreme reaction to Eliade and Jung.

        Regards,
        Florin
        n.b. I advertised Olivier's paper on Zosimus at Cardiff before he himself referred to it in the list, but somehow my e-mail was pending for a few days, since I just registered to the e-mail list. I hope that I did not create too much confusion.

        ____________________________
        Florin George Calian
        PhD Candidate
        Department
        of Philosophy
        Central European University, Budapest
        http://www.ceu.hu/node/21009

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 27, 2013
          Thanks, everyone - more goodies to read and I am on vacation all next week. :)

          Dennis Clark

          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Florin Calian <calianflorin@...> wrote:

          > Dear Tzvi,
          >
          > Thank you for referring so positively to my article.
          > Thanks also to Ted Hand for posting it.
          > I think I was too harsh with Principe and Newman, at the time when I wrote the article. Otherwise, I think that both of them did and do a good job concerning the
          > practical side of alchemy. My main concern was to see how much one can grasp from alchemical texts (as Aurora Consurgens, or those of Zosimus; in my paper I had as case study Early Modern texts, which can not be understood without the background of Renaissance Neoplatonism) with their paradigms, which can be seen as an extreme reaction to Eliade and Jung.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Florin
          > n.b. I advertised Olivier's paper on Zosimus at Cardiff before he himself referred to it in the list, but somehow my e-mail was pending for a few days, since I just registered to the e-mail list. I hope that I did not create too much confusion.
          >
          > ____________________________
          > Florin George Calian
          > PhD Candidate
          > Department
          > of Philosophy
          > Central European University, Budapest
          > http://www.ceu.hu/node/21009
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Ted Hand
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 27, 2013
            While we're on the topic of alchemy I'd like to highlight the
            research of two other promising young scholars that I'm very
            excited about: Jenny Rampling, who is working on the Ripley
            scrolls, and Peter Forshaw, who is working on Khunrath.

            http://alchemicaldiagrams.blogspot.com/2011/11/jenny-rampling-podcast-on-alchemy-and.html
            http://cambridge.academia.edu/JenniferRampling

            http://uva.academia.edu/PeterForshaw
            http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcxLzXeJ4FPi09-rpQGcscylHEhxEA8ws

            Finally, Wouter Hanegraaff has some excellent remarks on the
            historiographical
            problems of ["spiritual"?] alchemy in his recent "Esotericism and the
            Academy"

            best,
            Ted

          • John Dillon
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 28, 2013

              > Dear Tzvi,
              >
              > Thank you for referring so positively to my article.
              > Thanks also to Ted Hand for posting it.
              > I think I was too harsh with Principe and Newman, at the time when I wrote the
              > article. Otherwise, I think that both of them did and do a good job concerning
              > the
              > practical side of alchemy. My main concern was to see how much one can grasp
              > from alchemical texts (as Aurora Consurgens, or those of Zosimus; in my paper
              > I had as case study Early Modern texts, which can not be understood without
              > the background of Renaissance Neoplatonism) with their paradigms, which can be
              > seen as an extreme reaction to Eliade and Jung.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Florin
              > n.b. I advertised Olivier's paper on Zosimus at Cardiff before he himself
              > referred to it in the list, but somehow my e-mail was pending for a few days,
              > since I just registered to the e-mail list. I hope that I did not create too
              > much confusion.

              > Florin George Calian
              > PhD Candidate
              > Department
              > of Philosophy
              > Central European University, Budapest
              > http://www.ceu.hu/node/21009

              Dear Florin, That is a nice recognition of your article. It is an
              interesting chat-group, in general! JMD