Re: RAYMOND KILBANSKY (1905-2005). CATALOGUE OF THE MONTREAL EXHIBITION

  • Georges Leroux
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
      DEAR PLATONIC AND NEOPLATONIC FRIENDS,

      I am happy to announce the publication of the catalogue of the
      exhibition that I curated in the memory of Raymond Klibansky (1905-2005). I
      was his student in the sixties, here in Montreal.

      His library of around 7,500 books is now part of the Library of
      McGill. His personal archives are in Marbach (Germany), in the Deutsche
      Literatur Archiv. A selection of 250 books and souvenirs (incuding a choice
      of letters of Cassirer, Einstein, Rickert, and others) is presented in the
      exhibition "Raymond Klibansky (1905-2005). La bibliothèque d'un
      philosophe/The Library of a philosopher", which was inaugurated last
      November and will close on August the 25th.

      Among the treasures on view, a hitherto undescribed manuscript of
      the translation of the Timaeus by Calcidius and a magnificent selection of
      Proclus, Macrobius, Nicholas of Cusa. Author of Saturn and Melancholy
      (1964), written with Erwin Panosfsky and Fritz Saxl, Klibansky also
      collected on the theme of melancholy and the exhibition presents the first
      editions of Robert Burton, as well as precious books and engravings by
      Dürer.

      Published in french, the catalogue offers a full bibliography, along
      with photographies of many pieces presented in the exhibition. It also
      contains several essays on the topics of Klibansky's research, the platonic
      tradition, melancholy and modern tolerance.

      A website put up by his wife, Dr Ethel Groffier, presents all the
      material for those who would like to know more about this great scholar.

      http://www.raymondklibanskywebpage.org/

      With all best wishes,

      DR. GEORGES LEROUX

      EMERITUS
      DÉPARTEMENT DE PHILOSOPHIE
      UNIVERSITÉ DU QUÉBEC À MONTRÉAL

    • Georges Leroux
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
        DEAR FRIENDS

        As a complement to my mail of today, the official promo from the
        Bibliothèque Nationale, Georges Leroux

        Communiqué de presse

        Pour diffusion immédiate
        A Superb Catalogue Featuring the Library of Philosopher Raymond
        Klibansky

        Lavishly illustrated, Raymond Klibansky (1905-2005) ­ La bibliothèque d¹un
        philosophe is the companion catalogue to the BAnQ-produced exhibition of the
        same name. The exhibition runs at the Grande Bibliothèque until August 25,
        2013. Helmed by philosopher Georges Leroux in collaboration with McGill
        University¹s Rare Books and Special Collections Division, this exhibition
        and its catalogue highlight the bibliographic treasures of the Raymond
        Klibansky collection, one of the richest private collections in North
        America. Georges Leroux, Jillian Tomm, Ann Marie Holland, Jens Halfwassen,
        Jean-Philippe Uzel, Josiane Boulad-Ayoub, Désirée Park and Ethel Groffier
        have all contributed essays to this publication which captures the essence
        of a thinker whose intellectual, humanist and political ideals left a
        significant mark on the 20th century. Raymond Klibansky believed in the
        vitality of ideas and that one should contribute to the democratic debate.
        His library exemplifies his convictions.

        To order this catalogue and for information about payment and delivery, send
        an e-mail to boutique@.... In Québec, the catalogue is also available
        for purchase in bookshops and in other sales outlets of the Publications du
        Québec network (publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca) for $47.95. Raymond
        Klibansky (1905-2005) ­ La bibliothèque d¹un philosophe, Georges Leroux
        (dir.), Montréal, Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec, 2013, 176
        p. ISBN : 978-2-551-25366-1.

        About BAnQ As the largest cultural institution in Québec and an essential
        pillar of the knowledge society, Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du
        Québec (BAnQ) has the mission of offering democratic access to culture and
        knowledge. BAnQ collects, preserves, and disseminates Québec and
        Québec-related published and archival heritage. It also provides the
        services of a major public library. BAnQ encompasses the Grande
        Bibliothèque, a preservation centre (Centre de conservation) and a
        Québec-wide network of nine archives centres located in Montréal, Gatineau,
        Rimouski, Rouyn-Noranda, Saguenay, Sept-Îles, Sherbrooke,Trois-Rivières and
        Québec City, and a service point in Gaspé.

        www.banq.qc.ca/a_propos_banq/salle_de_presse/nouvelles/nouvelle.html?n_id=da
        9e3231-992e-41a8-9139-6b2931271bcc