Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Inquiry re: Ancient Ideas

  • david.gallagher70
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2013
      Dennis,

      Galen. Galen on the Usefulness of the Parts of the Body. Trans.
      Margaret Tallmadge May (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1968).

      David

      In a message dated 1/30/2013 4:35:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      vaeringjar@... writes:

      Are Galen's philosophical works available in translation in any modern
      language? I actually don't know which is the standard Greek text for him, even
      in general, or is there one, or is there any of just the philosophical
      works. They are not that extensive, correct?

      Thanks.

      Dennis Clark

      --- In _neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com)
      , "Adamson, Peter" wrote:

      > Hi David,
      >
      > A good place to start is Vivian Nutton's book "Ancient Medicine." The
      most important primary text is probably Galen's "On the Doctrines of Plato
      and Hippocrates" in which he defends the brain-centered view he, Plato and
      (supposedly) Hippocrates favor, against the heart-centered view of Aristotle
      and the Stoics.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2013

        > Well, it depends what you consider to be "philosophical" works. There are a number that seem pretty obviously philosophical such as "The Soul's Dependence on the Body" or his ethical writings. But many of his works, even on medical subjects, are philosophically fascinating, for instance "On Natural Faculties." I'm just co-editing a book on philosophical themes in Galen actually and this will be the second such book; the Cambridge Companion to Galen also deals pretty extensively with philosophical issues.
        >
        > As for editions and translations the one everyone refers to is the complete edition of his works by Kühn, which is very old; you'll almost always see that given in page citations. But there are newer editions of many works, and maybe all the important ones. Peter Singer did a very useful set of translations of Galen called "Selected Works" for Oxford World Classics but this is unfortunately out of print and hard to find. Now however Philip van der Eijk in Berlin is leading a project to translate all of Galen and the first volume will cover psychology, so it will be philosophically quite important stuff.
        >
        > By the way I believe I'm right in saying that Galen is the most voluminously extant author in Greek, from any genre of writing. (Which isn't to say that his "philosophical" works are extensive, as you point out. One of the most interesting by the way would have been his On Demonstration but this is lost and known only through fragments and testimonia.) So there is a lot to explore.
        >
        > Finally just to put in another favorite point of mine, Galen is very important for the transmission of philosophical ideas to the Islamic world and also the Latin tradition. I am working on a book about a philosopher named al-Razi who was also a doctor and who, I think, got most of his ideas about Greek philosophy by reading Galen.
        >
        > Hope that helps,
        >
        > Peter

        Yes, that is all most informative, thanks very much, Peter. I just looked at Amazon and that Singer collection even in paperback is going used at over 100 dollars!

        I didn't realize it but there is a Loeb on On the Natural Faculties.

        I was able to find I believe online at Google Books and archive.org most the overtly philosophical texts - some of Lacy's edition of the de placitis Hippocratis et Platonis is previewed online at Google too. I would presume Galen is a main source for much Stoic doctrine too - ?

        I am curious about this edition of Kraus and Walzer of his excerpting/commenting on the Timaeus - "compendium" in their edition, one of the Warburg Corpus Platonicum volumes. I have just downloaded it, and not myself quite sure what they are rendering here - a medieval Latin translation of an Arabic version? Sorry, but it's been a busy day!

        Thanks, Peter - this is all most interesting, and good luck with your new book.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2013
          Thanks, I will look for that too.

          Dennis Clark

          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, dgallagher@... wrote:

          > Dennis,
          >
          > Galen. Galen on the Usefulness of the Parts of the Body. Trans.
          > Margaret Tallmadge May (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1968).
          >
          > David
          >

          > In a message dated 1/30/2013 4:35:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > vaeringjar@... writes:
          >

          > Are Galen's philosophical works available in translation in any modern
          > language? I actually don't know which is the standard Greek text for him, even
          > in general, or is there one, or is there any of just the philosophical
          > works. They are not that extensive, correct?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Dennis Clark
          >
          > --- In _neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com)
          > , "Adamson, Peter" wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi David,
          > >
          > > A good place to start is Vivian Nutton's book "Ancient Medicine." The
          > most important primary text is probably Galen's "On the Doctrines of Plato
          > and Hippocrates" in which he defends the brain-centered view he, Plato and
          > (supposedly) Hippocrates favor, against the heart-centered view of Aristotle
          > and the Stoics.
          > >
          > > Best wishes,
          > > Peter
          > >
          > > New postal address:
          > >
          > > Lehrstuhl VI für Spätantike und arabische Philosophie
          > > Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
          > > Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1
          > > 80539 München
          > > Germany
          > >
          > > The History of Philosophy Podcast
          > > _http://www.historyofphilosophy.net_
          > (http://www.historyofphilosophy.net/)
          > > On Twitter @HistPhilosophy

        • Adamson, Peter
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
            Dear Dennis,

            >I was able to find I believe online at Google Books and archive.org most the overtly philosophical texts - some of Lacy's edition of the de placitis Hippocratis et Platonis is previewed online at Google too. I would presume Galen is a main source for much Stoic doctrine too - ?

            Yes, absolutely, for instance he criticizes Chrysippus a lot in PHP.

            >I am curious about this edition of Kraus and Walzer of his excerpting/commenting on the Timaeus - "compendium" in their edition, one of the Warburg Corpus Platonicum volumes. I have just downloaded it, and not myself quite sure what they are rendering here - a medieval Latin translation of an Arabic version? Sorry, but it's been a busy day!

            This is a paraphrase by Galen of part of the Timaeus, which is lost in Greek but retained in Arabic. Unless I'm misremembering the Latin translation is not medieval, it is Kraus/Walzer's translation of the Arabic into Latin (this was back when enough people read Latin that this made sense, I guess!). Galen also wrote a commentary on the Timaeus; it's possible that he stopped paraphrasing and switched to commentary when it got to the more medically important parts on human anatomy. This commentary is lost but there is a collection of fragments, including from Arabic.

            Best,

            Peter