Iamblichus' political philosophy

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
      Best wishes to one and all for the new year!

      PS - A little study on Iamblichus' Protrepticus:

      http://www.academia.edu/2367396/Iamblichus_use_of_nomos_in_chapter_XX_of_the_Protrepticus
    • Tim Addey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2013
        The Prometheus Trust's eighth annual conference has been planned under
        the title "Philosophy: Restoring the Soul." The conference is to be
        held, as usual, in Warminster, Wiltshire in the UK: this is short train
        journey from Cardiff which hosts the ISNS conference a week earlier -
        kill two conference birds with one stone!

        Philosophy: Restoring the Soul

        Ivy House, Warminster, Wiltshire, UK

        June 21-23 2013

        Philosophy's original practitioners understood its primary purpose as
        that of restoring the soul to its divine likeness through the
        cultivation of wisdom. Platonic philosophy especially explored right
        action, reason, contemplation and divine inspiration as the
        interconnected means through which the inherent excellencies of an
        immortal soul could be made actual.

        In modern times this original view has, to a large extent, been
        abandoned -- indeed the very notion of the self as an immortal soul is
        usually considered as a affirmation of non-rational religions, rather
        than thoughtful philosophy. Without the reality of an essential soul,
        ethics cannot be based on its powers, and thus the development of the
        virtues, too, is brought into question. The direction of human energies,
        in this worldview, becomes a more or less arbitrary matter -- one more
        relative activity in a relativistic universe.

        This conference is invited to consider three main areas of interest:

        Firstly, the original purposes of philosophy, and how its best thinkers
        and practitioners sought to restore the soul.

        Secondly, how we can shape our present practice of philosophy in order
        to draw upon the best of ancient and modern insights into the nature of
        the self and the universe in which we live.

        Thirdly, how the notion of the immortal soul can be restored to
        mainstream philosophy in the future.

        Papers addressing any or all of these areas will be welcome from
        professional and amateur, academic and non-academic philosophers.

        We are delighted that Professor John M Dillon has agreed to give the
        keynote address, and that Dr Gregory Shaw will be delivering the eighth
        Thomas Taylor Lecture on the Saturday evening of the conference.

        More details can be found
        here:http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/html/conference.html
        <http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/html/conference.html>

        Tim Addey

      • John Uebersax
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2013
          Congratulations, Tim, on choice of an excellent and timely theme for this year's conference!

          In an interesting example of synchronicity, literally one moment before opening and reading your message I had written the following for a young colleague:

          philosophy = love of truth and wisdom -> purification of will (humility) and purification of understanding (suspension of judgment) -> spontaneous development of ability to 'see' (noesis) subtle workings of inner mind = maturation and integrity of subtle inner mind = self-actualization, 'likeness to God', immortality.

          A second synchronicity is that, following Dennis' yearly philosophical offering, I had wanted to reciprocate by drawing attention to a rather remarkable philosophical poem (considered by some the best specimen of that genre in English), which perhaps a few members (like me) had not previously encountered.  It is 'Nosce Teipsum', by Sir John Davies:

          http://archive.org/details/philosophyinpoet00snearich

          The second part of this charming and brilliant work is titled, Of The Soule of Man and the Immortalite Thereof.  Some verses:

          Since Nature failes us in no needfull thing,
             Why want I meanes my inward selfe to see?
             Which sight the knowledg of my self might bring,
             Which to true wisdome is the first degree.

          That Power which gave me eyes the World to view,
             To see my selfe infus'd an inward light;
             Whereby my Soule, as by a mirror true,
             Of her owne forme may take a perfect sight,

          But as the sharpest eye discerneth nought,
             Except the sunne-beames in the ayre doe shine;
             So the best Soule with her reflecting thought,
             Sees not her selfe without some light divine.

          O Light which mak'st the light, which makes the day!
             Which setst the eye without, and mind within;
             'Lighten my spirit with one cleare heavenly ray,
             Which now to view it selfe doth first begin.