Re: Philo - Opificio Mundi

  • john.uebersax
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
      Hello Mark,

      > Philo's On the Creation According to Moses. Any reference material...

      Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but in any case you might want to check the section on Philo in Emil Schürer's classic work, 'A History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ', Volume 3 (Clark, 1896), pp. 321 ff.
      http://books.google.com/books?id=knqVPTkp1z8C

      > Also, anything on Philo's Homilies on Genesis

      Did you mean "Homilies", or Philo's Questions and Answers on Genesis? (I have seen stray suggestions that some of Philo's works were delivered as homilies, but nothing specific.)

      The Loeb edition of Q&A on Genesis by Ralph Marcus contains a decent introduction and copious notes.
      http://archive.org/details/questionsanswers00philuoft

      For general background, of course, there is the excellent chapter on Philo in Prof. Dillon's 'The Middle Platonists'.

      Hope this helps.

      John Uebersax

      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <marcusaurelius09@...> wrote:

      I'm working on a paper on Philo's On the Creation According to Moses. Any reference material anyone could suggest would be greatly appreciated. So far, I've looked at some books by David Runia. Also, anything on Philo's Homilies on Genesis, as well. Thanks.

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2012
        Thanks John, I'll be sure to check those books out - I guess to be more precise, I'm focusing on the notion of philosophical interpretation of creation myths, the very broad question of the relation between myth and philosophy, and also the mythical structures of the Genesis creation story, again a very broad topic.

        Sorry, I made a mistake on the homilies question, I meant Origen's Homilies on Genesis, the first part, dealing with creation.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
          Howdy folks,

          Recently uploaded: A paper on Opificio Mundi, very Eliadish, it doesn't nearly encompass the availible research material, therefore it's short and sweet:-) (To be expanded....)

          also a paper in honour of Proclus' 1500th (a little late), Plotinus and Heidegger on Time, and a funky piece on Nichomachean Ethics

          http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre/Papers