The Eternal Law

  • Tim Addey
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2012
      I'm sure members of this yahoo group will be interested to hear of the
      publication of John Spencer's 'The Eternal Law, Ancient Greek
      Philosophy, Modern Physics and Ultimate Reality' (Param Media,
      Vancouver, 2012). The book sets out to show that the basis of modern
      science - especially theoretical physics and its accompanying
      mathematics - is essentially Platonic: not only that, but that
      theoretical physicists have been much more supportive of Platonic (and
      neoplatonic) metaphysics than most modern mainstream philosophers. The
      book meets head-on in the most uncompromising terms the widespread but
      flawed worldview of the anti-realists - as such it should be welcomed by
      those who think that whatever advances humankind has made since the
      closure of the Athenian academy, it has lost sight of an all-important
      understanding of the nature of intelligible reality.

      It's now available from all the usual booksellers (as well as from the
      Prometheus Trust website). Below are a few endorsements from respected
      figures from both ends of the spectrum - modern physicists and students
      of ancient philosophy.

      Reality bites back!

      Tim Addey

      "I found John Spencer's "The Eternal Law" to be enormously refreshing;
      for here we have someone willing to speak out forcefully in favour of
      Platonic ideals lying at the roots of modern science." Sir Roger
      Penrose (OM FRS) Emeritus Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics,
      Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford, author of /The Road to
      Reality./

      "This book gives a spirited defence of the continuing importance of
      Platonic philosophy. The author shows how Pythagorean and Platonic ideas
      influenced the thinking of the creators of modern science, from Kepler
      in the seventeenth century to the founders of quantum mechanics in the
      twentieth." Dr. Stephen M. Barr, Professor of Particle Physics,
      University of Delaware, author of /Modern Physics and Ancient Faith/

      "This is an exciting and thought-provoking book from a young scholar
      whose base is in the philosophical foundations of quantum physics, but
      who has gone on as well to master the whole philosophical tradition,
      particularly that of Platonism, to bring us a wide-ranging study of the
      parameters of reality. All of us can learn from it." Dr. John Dillon
      (who needs no introduction on this group, I think).

    • Ryan Haecker
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2012
        Thank you for the recommendation.

        On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Tim Addey <tim@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I'm sure members of this yahoo group will be interested to hear of the
        > publication of John Spencer's 'The Eternal Law, Ancient Greek
        > Philosophy, Modern Physics and Ultimate Reality' (Param Media,
        > Vancouver, 2012). The book sets out to show that the basis of modern
        > science - especially theoretical physics and its accompanying
        > mathematics - is essentially Platonic: not only that, but that
        > theoretical physicists have been much more supportive of Platonic (and
        > neoplatonic) metaphysics than most modern mainstream philosophers. The
        > book meets head-on in the most uncompromising terms the widespread but
        > flawed worldview of the anti-realists - as such it should be welcomed by
        > those who think that whatever advances humankind has made since the
        > closure of the Athenian academy, it has lost sight of an all-important
        > understanding of the nature of intelligible reality.
        >
        > It's now available from all the usual booksellers (as well as from the
        > Prometheus Trust website). Below are a few endorsements from respected
        > figures from both ends of the spectrum - modern physicists and students
        > of ancient philosophy.
        >
        > Reality bites back!
        >
        > Tim Addey
        >
        > "I found John Spencer's "The Eternal Law" to be enormously refreshing;
        > for here we have someone willing to speak out forcefully in favour of
        > Platonic ideals lying at the roots of modern science." Sir Roger
        > Penrose (OM FRS) Emeritus Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics,
        > Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford, author of /The Road to
        > Reality./
        >
        > "This book gives a spirited defence of the continuing importance of
        > Platonic philosophy. The author shows how Pythagorean and Platonic ideas
        > influenced the thinking of the creators of modern science, from Kepler
        > in the seventeenth century to the founders of quantum mechanics in the
        > twentieth." Dr. Stephen M. Barr, Professor of Particle Physics,
        > University of Delaware, author of /Modern Physics and Ancient Faith/
        >
        > "This is an exciting and thought-provoking book from a young scholar
        > whose base is in the philosophical foundations of quantum physics, but
        > who has gone on as well to master the whole philosophical tradition,
        > particularly that of Platonism, to bring us a wide-ranging study of the
        > parameters of reality. All of us can learn from it." Dr. John Dillon
        > (who needs no introduction on this group, I think).

        Sincerely,
        Ryan Haecker
        Phone: 1-210-846-8434
        rhryanhaecker@...

      • John Uebersax
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
          A nice review of Barrie Fleet's translation/commentary of Enneads 4.8 (On the Descent of the Soul into Bodies) has just appeared in the Bryn Mawr Classical Review:

          http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2012/2012-11-23.html

          published by Parmenides, and apparently the first of a promising "new series of translations and commentaries on the individual treatises of Plotinus’ Enneads, edited by John Dillon and Andrew Smith"!