Re: trinitarian and triadicRe: [neoplatonism] Re: What are the One and the No...

  • John Dillon
    Message 1 of 44 , Aug 1, 2012

      >> > Yes, I got one of those invitations too. I am glad to be filled in by Mike,
      >> > as I had no knowledge of Alexander Dugin, though the founding of
      >> > Platonopolis did sound seriously dotty. John
      >> >

      > Has there ever been a serious community established anywhere, among such type
      > communities? I have of course about zero confidence in such an idea, given the
      > track record of most such enterprises, being nothing more than con's or worse,
      > the nastiest sort of repressive cult exercises. But I suppose in a sense any
      > sort of monastery is a specimen of this type of social organization, and can
      > work. Questio is, could a Platonic one? Such as he proposes in the Republic
      > would not be legal actually in most countries, would it? Never really thought
      > about that. I suppose in a great catastrophe we want refuges to carry on, but
      > the thought is so dreay in general, that even that contingency depresses me
      > too much to contemplate it much. Otherwise, I think if a social organization
      > cannot heal its main self in itself, then why bother will little experimental
      > enclaves, unless of course they are for some sort of true survival, but is
      > that really feasible now, and is it not also too depressing to contemplate?
      >
      > And yet this weekend I watched part of a documentary on people spending
      > hundreds of thousands of dollars on high tech [sic!] refuges in advance of
      > this silly Mayan calendar thing about 2012. The con artists taking advantage
      > of it are hardly a surprise to see, and have been around as long as these
      > millenialists have.
      >
      > One telling aspect of this phenomenon I noticed when I heard one contractor
      > interviewed on the program say he had lost business because he himself, while
      > quite happy to build these things for believers, was no believer himself. The
      > business he said he lost was from those who were unhappy to hire him, if he
      > was not also a believer himself!
      >
      > Does that explain a large part of it? The seeking of fellow believers,
      > regardless of what is believed? Superstition loves company for it to take
      > hold? Yikes.
      >
      > Dennis Clark

      Well, I suppose America used to abound in these utopian communities of
      various sorts, after all, not too many of which lasted very long. As for
      Plotty¹s plan, I think that it would have turned out a sort of Platonist
      monastery. It would have been a bit like the Swiss navy, as they say, though
      ‹ all admirals! Not too many candidates for the peasantry, I think. John

    • dgallagher@aol.com
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 26, 2012
        In a message dated 9/26/2012 1:04:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        linyuuuu@... writes:

        Or, to put it more mildly, that the evidence of the senses in no way
        argues for an absolutely good source for all of this. The evidence of the senses
        indicates something pretty ignorant and bad.

        Sounds like the cracking of thin ice to me. The senses may be understood
        as apprehending "evidence", but not the assessment thereof as "ignorant and
        bad." Further, we ought be cautious with our understanding of references
        to "evil" in the ancient sources, as they more typically appear to me as
        allusions to separation from the real or true without any moral implicate
        intended.

        What you see is what you get depends upon what is seeing.

        David