Armstrong's 7-volume "Plotinus"

  • robert_tkoch
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2012
      I don't know if you already know this --- but I recently heard from Loeb Publishing that A. H. Armstrong's 7-volume translation of Plotinus will be available in eBook form in 2013, along with many other Loeb titles.

      I suppose that that means that the Greek text will also be included; but Loeb did not confirm this, nor any exact date of publication.

      I just thought that this would be welcome news, as Professor Armstrong's translation seems, to me, to be the best available.

      Robert Tkoch
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2012
        Is this via Kindle or some other form perhaps? Via Harvard Press itself/

        Certainly the wave of the future. I am so thankful so many texts are online now, since I don't have instant access to a good library.

        Dennis Clark

        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2012
          Too bad more are not in the intellix platform as a searchable database for academic research. You can make footnote, marginal notes, cross-reference variant texts/readings, and secondary literature while still maintaining a "clean text" if you wish to go to that format.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2012
            Some have asked about this software that includes critical edition philosophy texts in original languages and translation as a fully searchable database in the past. Here is the link to the company website.

            http://www.nlx.com/home

            ________________________________
            Too bad more are not in the intellix platform as a searchable database for academic research. You can make footnote, marginal notes, cross-reference variant texts/readings, and secondary literature while still maintaining a "clean text" if you wish to go to that format.

            ________________________________
            Is this via Kindle or some other form perhaps? Via Harvard Press itself/

            Certainly the wave of the future. I am so thankful so many texts are online now, since I don't have instant access to a good library.

            Dennis Clark

            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "robert_tkoch" <linyuuuu@...> wrote:

            > I don't know if you already know this --- but I recently heard from Loeb Publishing that A. H. Armstrong's 7-volume translation of Plotinus will be available in eBook form in 2013, along with many other Loeb titles.
            >
            > I suppose that that means that the Greek text will also be included; but Loeb did not confirm this, nor any exact date of publication.
            >
            > I just thought that this would be welcome news, as Professor Armstrong's translation seems, to me, to be the best available.
            >

            > Robert Tkoch

          • robert_tkoch
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2012
              Forgot to mention --- this will be directly from Harvard Press. Quoting Stephanie Vyce at Harvard Press:

              "As I wrote to you earlier, HUP does not make individual Loeb volumes available through ebook vendors like Amazon but is preparing an electronic edition of the complete Loeb Classical Library. The seven volume Plotinus will be part of this project."

              Later, she also mentioned that these will be available in 2013.

              Robert Tkoch

              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

              > Is this via Kindle or some other form perhaps? Via Harvard Press itself/
              >
              > Certainly the wave of the future. I am so thankful so many texts are online now, since I don't have instant access to a good library.
              >
              > Dennis Clark
              >
              > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "robert_tkoch" <linyuuuu@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I don't know if you already know this --- but I recently heard from Loeb Publishing that A. H. Armstrong's 7-volume translation of Plotinus will be available in eBook form in 2013, along with many other Loeb titles.
              > >
              > > I suppose that that means that the Greek text will also be included; but Loeb did not confirm this, nor any exact date of publication.
              > >
              > > I just thought that this would be welcome news, as Professor Armstrong's translation seems, to me, to be the best available.
              > >

              > > Robert Tkoch

            • Goya
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2012
                > One suspects this may not be free of charge. Just a hunch.

                Mike,

                (about to give a coule of talks on Neoplatonism and creationism in sunny
                Berdsk, Siberia)

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2012
                  Order the Salmon.

                  ________________________________
                  > One suspects this may not be free of charge. Just a hunch.

                  Mike,

                  (about to give a coule of talks on Neoplatonism and creationism in sunny
                  Berdsk, Siberia)

                  > Forgot to mention --- this will be directly from Harvard Press. Quoting
                  > Stephanie Vyce at Harvard Press:
                  >
                  > "As I wrote to you earlier, HUP does not make individual Loeb volumes
                  > available through ebook vendors like Amazon but is preparing an electronic
                  > edition of the complete Loeb Classical Library. The seven volume Plotinus
                  > will be part of this project."
                  >
                  > Later, she also mentioned that these will be available in 2013.
                  >
                  > Robert Tkoch
                  >

                  > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Is this via Kindle or some other form perhaps? Via Harvard Press itself/
                  >>
                  >> Certainly the wave of the future. I am so thankful so many texts are
                  >> online now, since I don't have instant access to a good library.
                  >>
                  >> Dennis Clark
                  >>
                  >> --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "robert_tkoch" <linyuuuu@> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > I don't know if you already know this --- but I recently heard from
                  >> Loeb Publishing that A. H. Armstrong's 7-volume translation of
                  >> Plotinus will be available in eBook form in 2013, along with many
                  >> other Loeb titles.
                  >> >
                  >> > I suppose that that means that the Greek text will also be included;
                  >> but Loeb did not confirm this, nor any exact date of publication.
                  >> >
                  >> > I just thought that this would be welcome news, as Professor
                  >> Armstrong's translation seems, to me, to be the best available.
                  >> >

                  >> > Robert Tkoch

                • John Uebersax
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5, 2012
                    Robert Tkoch wrote:

                    > Armstrong's 7-volume translation of Plotinus will be available in
                    > eBook form in 2013, along with many other Loeb titles

                    Thanks, this is interesting.

                    FYI, this site includes links to free pdf versions of many Loeb volumes currently in the public domain.

                    http://www.edonnelly.com/loebs.html

                    Best,

                    John Uebersax
                  • dgallagher@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 5, 2012
                      Wow, John!! This is great resource. Thanks to you and Dr. Donnelly for
                      sharing.

                      David

                      _http://www.edonnelly.com/loebs.html_ (http://www.edonnelly.com/loebs.html)