Re: Neoplatonism & Religion

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 6, 2012

      > > Been trying to find the time to respond to this point, Mike. The review I
      > > did of a collection of Charrue's essays touches on a couple of ones
      > > included there that concern themselves in part with just this subject is
      > > in the latest IJPT. For now I would say there is little hope in my opinion
      > > of extracting much of Ammonios' at all, despite Theiler's effort, beyond
      > > two main points, the importance to him of the agreement of Plato and
      > > Aristotle (which comes from Hierocles actually), and one point on the
      > > nature of the soul.
      >
      > M.C. Why is that?

      Argh, Mike - I was afraid you would ask just that before I had time to review Theiler. To be honest, I spent the last three months BURIED in studying Aristotle's Protrepticus, for another review of the new edition of the fragments, right after studying Ammonius. I need to look at Theiler again beyond what I needed to do for the review I did of Charrue's essays. I will try to take a look this weekend.

      > > But interestingly enough, the subject of that latter point has come up
      > > again for me personally just last week, reading Andrew Smith's most useful
      > > chapter on Porphyry in the new Cambridge History, regarding Nemesius' use
      > > of Porphry perhaps on the substance of the soul, which may in fact go back
      > > to Ammonius, and which Charrue discusses in that same essay. I just need
      > > to review the details on all of this, and look at Theiler again, before I
      > > say anything else!
      >
      > M.C. Yes, I've discussed these matters as well in my article on Nemesius
      > for the DPhA.

      Oh, any chance there is an electronic copy of that could float my way? :)

      > The problem with Theiler's hypothesis - apart from the fact that it's
      > unverifiable, like much in the history of philosophy, is that it's awfully
      > hard to sort out all the Ammonii (there seem to have been two, a Christian
      > and and pagan) and and all the Origenes (likewise, there was a Christian
      > and a pagan). Schroeder in the ANRW argues that the Christian Origen
      > wasn't in Alexandria long enough, or at the right time, to have been
      > Plotinus's fellow-student. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine that
      > Porphyry (who had studied under two students of Ammonius) was confused
      > when he said Origen was born a pagan and converted to Christianity ad
      > switched to Paganism, while Ammonius did the reverse.
      >
      > Whether or not Origen the Christian actually was a student of Ammonius, I
      > do think there are parallels between Origen, Hierocles and Porphyry that
      > need to be explained, and none of Theiler's many detractors seems to me to
      > have accomplished this.
      >
      > Best, Mike

      I do recall there was not much of possible relevance in Hierocles beyond the view of agreement between Plato and Aristotle, and that Ammonius was likely the first to take this approach - but I suspect you are thinking of something else in particular, right, Mike?

      Best,
      Dennis
    • Wyman
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 19, 2012
        M.C.,

        You were referring to the Contra Iulianum. Can you tell me where to find English (or German) translations of that text? Esp. of the part you quoted from. Or even a Latin version?

        Thanks,

        Wyman