Re: [neoplatonism] Werner Beierwaltes, "Die Metaphysik des Lichtes in der Philosophie Plotins "

  • Robert Wallace
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hi Michael,

      I can't help with the Beierwaltes. If you're casting your net widely,
      there is a pretty widely cited paper by Hans Blumenberg, "Licht als
      Metapher der Wahrheit" (1958), translated in David Michael Levin, ed.,
      _Modernity and the Hegemony of Vision_ (1993). It will cite Plotinus
      and much else. Blumenberg was concerned with what he called "absolute
      metaphors," which resist translation into logos. His _Paradigms for a
      Metaphorology_ (1960, trans. 2010) probably also deals with "light"
      metaphors.

      Good to hear from you!

      Best, Bob W

      On Apr 2, 2012, at 6:06 AM, Michael Wakoff wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Does anyone know whether there is an English translation of Werner
      > Beierwaltes's 1961 article, "Die Metaphysik des Lichtes in der
      > Philosophie Plotins" available?
      >
      > I'm also interested in learning of any other works (in English) on
      > Plotinus's "light metaphysics." I have Schroeder's Form and
      > Transformation, which has a wonderful chapter on light in Plotinus,
      > Sara
      > Rappe's Reading Neoplatonism, and an article by Kevin Corrigan, "Light
      > and Metaphor in Plotinus and St. Thomas Aquinas."
      >
      > Thanks for any assistance.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Michael Wakoff

      Robert Wallace
      website: www.robertmwallace.com
      email: bob@...
      phone: 414-617-3914

    • Michael Wakoff
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hi Bob,

        Thanks. I'll take a look at the Blumberg paper. Sounds interesting.

        Best wishes to you,

        Michael