translation of Hermias in Phaedr.

  • jrmschott
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2012
      Hi all,
      I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any English translations afoot of Hermias, in Phaedr., especially given the appearance of the new critical edition.
      All the best,
      Jeremy Schott
    • Gary Gabor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2012
        Jeremy,

        There is at least a partial translation, produced by Thomas Taylor, a portion of which is reproduced in Uzdavinys (ed.), The Golden Chain, 2004. (I am not sure how complete the original translation by Taylor is). But see the link below. Also, I believe the Prometheus Trust may have had a portion of the Taylor translation online in the past, but this may have since been taken down.

        http://books.google.com/books?id=ym00OJMBKmcC&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=taylor+translation+hermeias&source=bl&ots=DR0u8GT9cu&sig=eRODcgmD87pppjIJBsVLaQd8mZs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bgR2T4zXOYXy0gHiyonHDQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=taylor%20translation%20hermeias&f=false

        Gary

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2012
          Ah, I knew of the Taylor. I was wondering if there were any plans for a
          new translation based on the new forthcoming edition.
          All the best,
          Jeremy

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2012
            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "jrmschott" <jrmschott@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any English translations afoot of Hermias, in Phaedr., especially given the appearance of the new critical edition.
            > All the best,
            > Jeremy Schott

            There is the German translation, Hildegund Bernard, Hermeias von Alexandrien: Kommentar zu Platons „Phaidros". Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 1997, which is the only modern one I know of.

            Just curious - obviously Couvreur's edition is quite old now, but is it flawed in any major way? I guess I am asking or trying to, in a nice way, of the need for a new edition - ? Better MSS now available or just again, that his is so old and so much scholarship has been done since his?

            The new edition is by Carlo Lucarini and Claudio Moreschini from de Gruyter? I only know that because I just looked it up online.

            I actually thought about trying my hand at translating this myself into English, but then I realized it was just beyond me, and would take quite some time, as it's not that short a work. There are some passages I have dipped into that are not at all that clear as to their reference, thoug perhaps they would be obscure to the most learned and seasoned as well.

            Thanks.