Re: Proclus' Birthday (a Hellenic date)

  • Alexander S
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2012
      Hello All,

      The old Attic festival calendar was still being used by the Neoplatonists, as Marinus gives both the Attic and Gregorian dates for Proclus' death (17th of April, 17th of Mounuchion).

      If my figuring is right, then his birthday falls on the 10th of Anthesterion, in the 3rd year of the 297th Olympiad. Being a lunisolar date, it can move about a bit when compared to the Gregorian date, and this year it appears to fall on 3rd of March.

      So those who forgot to prepare for it for today may perhaps do something that Saturday. Its currently the 3rd year of the 697th Olympiad, so not only was it 1600 years ago, it was also 400 Olympiads ago, a nice round number in my opinion.

      Just a thought,
      - Alexander