Re: The Immortals

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
      Excellent observation, Thomas!

      I knew there was, uh, something "fishy" going on there...

      Sorrry!

      Dennis Clark

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011

      • dgallagher@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
          Episcamology?

          --- In _neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com)

          (mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com) , "Mark" <marcusaurelius09@> wrote:

          > > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The
          Immortals, I submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner, Letter 3
          To Arete, fragment 4:

          > > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence
          in moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the
          Gorgon, which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and
          petrifies them through mindless indulgence in the passions"

          > > Mark
          > > _http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre_
          (http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre)

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 25, 2011
            > > But still, just curious, what made you after seeing the film think of
            > this bit from Iamblichus? Did you just find the movie almost "petrifying", a
            > "mindless indulgence in the passions"?!?
            Dennis

            Actually, I haven't seen it - and now I wonder if I can muster the heroic courage to face it - the preview shots look nice visually, mind you - actually, Calderon de la Barca did a lovely version of this story, so if someone ever based a movie on that, I think it could be quite good...
          • Russ Kinter
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 25, 2011
              _____

              I knew there was, uh, something "fishy" going on there...

              Watch out -it might just really be a red herring

              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com>

              <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mark" <marcusaurelius09@> wrote:

              > > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The
              Immortals, I submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner,
              Letter 3 To Arete, fragment 4:

              > > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence
              in moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the Gorgon,
              which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and petrifies
              them through mindless indulgence in the passions"

              > > Mark
              > > http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre

            • John Dillon
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011

                > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The Immortals, I
                > submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner, Letter 3 To
                > Arete, fragment 4:
                >
                > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence in
                > moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the Gorgon,
                > which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and petrifies
                > them through mindless indulgence in the passions".
                >
                > Mark
                > http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre

                Good on ya, Mark. I must now see the movie! JMD

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
                  Thank you, sir - and thanks for sparking the Iamblichus revival...