Re: [neoplatonism] Re: The Immortals

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
      Dennis wrote: "Though the main question I have after seeing Immortals is rather why Poseidon was shown wearing that funny wire basket on his head."

      Catch of the day?

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
        Excellent observation, Thomas!

        I knew there was, uh, something "fishy" going on there...

        Sorrry!

        Dennis Clark

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011

        • dgallagher@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
            Episcamology?

            --- In _neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com)

            (mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com) , "Mark" <marcusaurelius09@> wrote:

            > > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The
            Immortals, I submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner, Letter 3
            To Arete, fragment 4:

            > > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence
            in moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the
            Gorgon, which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and
            petrifies them through mindless indulgence in the passions"

            > > Mark
            > > _http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre_
            (http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre)

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 25, 2011
              > > But still, just curious, what made you after seeing the film think of
              > this bit from Iamblichus? Did you just find the movie almost "petrifying", a
              > "mindless indulgence in the passions"?!?
              Dennis

              Actually, I haven't seen it - and now I wonder if I can muster the heroic courage to face it - the preview shots look nice visually, mind you - actually, Calderon de la Barca did a lovely version of this story, so if someone ever based a movie on that, I think it could be quite good...
            • Russ Kinter
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 25, 2011
                _____

                I knew there was, uh, something "fishy" going on there...

                Watch out -it might just really be a red herring

                --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com>

                <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mark" <marcusaurelius09@> wrote:

                > > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The
                Immortals, I submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner,
                Letter 3 To Arete, fragment 4:

                > > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence
                in moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the Gorgon,
                which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and petrifies
                them through mindless indulgence in the passions"

                > > Mark
                > > http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre

              • John Dillon
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011

                  > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The Immortals, I
                  > submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner, Letter 3 To
                  > Arete, fragment 4:
                  >
                  > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence in
                  > moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the Gorgon,
                  > which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and petrifies
                  > them through mindless indulgence in the passions".
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre

                  Good on ya, Mark. I must now see the movie! JMD

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
                    Thank you, sir - and thanks for sparking the Iamblichus revival...