The Immortals

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
      In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The Immortals, I submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner, Letter 3 To Arete, fragment 4:

      "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence in moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the Gorgon, which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and petrifies them through mindless indulgence in the passions".

      Mark
      http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
        Lovely idea from Iamblichus! Not sure of the connection with that awful movie, though.

        It was I guess the most bizarre interpretation of the Olympians I have ever seen in popular culture, even at a comic book level, which oddly enough, when I was a boy, was often not that far wrong from a normal if simplistic view of Greek popular religion.

        Though the main question I have after seeing Immortals is rather why Poseidon was shown wearing that funny wire basket on his head.

        Would have to say that I did like how the Titans were imprisoned, gnashing their teeth on those metal bars. Excellent visual representation, very physical and focused and somehow appropriate to their base nature, so focused on just grabbing onto something and holding it and not much beyond that, very base.

        Had the story and dialogue in this thing - certainly was a waste of talented actors, too - had they not been such dreck, even for something like this, and been more up to the level of the look of the movie, it would not have been half bad.

        But still, just curious, what made you after seeing the film think of this bit from Iamblichus? Did you just find the movie almost "petrifying", a "mindless indulgence in the passions"?!?

        Dennis Clark

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
          Dennis wrote: "Though the main question I have after seeing Immortals is rather why Poseidon was shown wearing that funny wire basket on his head."

          Catch of the day?

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
            Excellent observation, Thomas!

            I knew there was, uh, something "fishy" going on there...

            Sorrry!

            Dennis Clark

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011

            • dgallagher@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 24, 2011
                Episcamology?

                --- In _neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com)

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 25, 2011
                  > > But still, just curious, what made you after seeing the film think of
                  > this bit from Iamblichus? Did you just find the movie almost "petrifying", a
                  > "mindless indulgence in the passions"?!?
                  Dennis

                  Actually, I haven't seen it - and now I wonder if I can muster the heroic courage to face it - the preview shots look nice visually, mind you - actually, Calderon de la Barca did a lovely version of this story, so if someone ever based a movie on that, I think it could be quite good...
                • Russ Kinter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 25, 2011
                    _____

                    I knew there was, uh, something "fishy" going on there...

                    Watch out -it might just really be a red herring

                    --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com>

                    <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mark" <marcusaurelius09@> wrote:

                    > > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The
                    Immortals, I submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner,
                    Letter 3 To Arete, fragment 4:

                    > > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence
                    in moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the Gorgon,
                    which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and petrifies
                    them through mindless indulgence in the passions"

                    > > Mark
                    > > http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre

                  • John Dillon
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011

                      > In view of the release of Hollywood's latest epic release, The Immortals, I
                      > submit a passage from Iamblichus from Dillon & Polleichtner, Letter 3 To
                      > Arete, fragment 4:
                      >
                      > "Even so, did Perseus, ascending to the highest pinnacle of excellence in
                      > moderation, under the guidance of Athene, cut off the head of the Gorgon,
                      > which I take to be the power that drags men down into matter and petrifies
                      > them through mindless indulgence in the passions".
                      >
                      > Mark
                      > http://mcgill.academia.edu/MarkLamarre

                      Good on ya, Mark. I must now see the movie! JMD

                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
                        Thank you, sir - and thanks for sparking the Iamblichus revival...