Any Neoplatonist thinkers near Los Angeles?

  • mojospfx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2002
      Hi everyone

      I'm new to this topic, and I'm writing a film in which a central character is
      a Neoplatonist thinker.

      I'd like to find someone in or near Los Angeles who I can consult with so if
      this is you, please, get in touch!

      Regards,
      Mojo
      mojospfx@...

    • malkhos
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 25, 2002
        Mojo:

        To judge from your profile, I think you would do better to start over
        with another subject, one more in keeping with your somatic
        character, scurrying around like a cock-roach in the shadows of a
        cave worshiping an idol of bad taste. We wouldn't want you blinded by
        the light of noesis.

        --- In neoplatonism@y..., mojospfx@a... wrote:
        > Hi everyone
        >
        > I'm new to this topic, and I'm writing a film in which a central
        character is
        > a Neoplatonist thinker.
        >
        > I'd like to find someone in or near Los Angeles who I can consult
        with so if
        > this is you, please, get in touch!
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mojo
        > mojospfx@a...

      • Mojo_LA
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 26, 2002
          malkhos - Pythagoras said that nothing in the physical world is
          perfect. This includes you, I'm afraid.

          Mojo
        • malkhos
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27, 2002
            I post the follwing quotation from the historical miscellany of
            Claudius Aelian, both becuase it is not very well known, and becasue
            it will give an idea of what opinion Plato would have had of someone
            who devoted his liesure hours to playing with a skateboard and then
            had the temerity to ask for expert consultation on philosophy:

            Ael. Varia Historia, 2.27.
            Anniceris of Cyrene took gerat pride in his horemanship and in his
            ability to drive a chariot. There was an occasion whene he wanted to
            show his skill to Plato. So he yoked up his team and drove many laps
            in the Academy. He guided the chariot so well that he never once
            drove outside of the tack made by his wheels, but always followed
            exactly the same ruts. Everyone else was extremely impressed. But
            Plato criticized his excessive zeal. 'It is impossible,' he
            said, 'for the person who expends so much care on such petty and
            useless thnigs to be really serious about impprtant matters. His
            mind, distracted by these pursuits, must of necessity neglect those
            matters truly serving of admiration.'

            I don't have the exact quotation in front of me, but a piece of
            advice that I have always used from Epictetus is to the effect that
            whenever one is made is to feel ridiculous or emabrassed by
            criticisism of one's actions, it is useless to react with anger, but
            better to take the oppurtunity to privately assess one's own actions
            and attitudes to see whether they were virtuous or not, and to be
            thankful for the opportunity of introspection.

            --- In neoplatonism@y..., "Mojo_LA" <mojospfx@a...> wrote:
            > malkhos - Pythagoras said that nothing in the physical world is
            > perfect. This includes you, I'm afraid.
            >
            > Mojo
          • Mojo_LA
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2002
              You're hysterical!

              Not only do you take it upon yourself to judge a person's suitability
              to study philosophy, but your criteria is a Yahoo profile!

              Have you looked at your own? Here's your quote:

              "There is none righteous, no not one."

              Do you see the irony?

              By the way, I don't own a skateboard.

              Mojo
            • malkhos
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30, 2002
                Mojo:
                In the first palce I am not a woman so I am unlikely to have a
                hystera or womb which would be capapble of wandering. Then I suppose
                you object to my using your profile as the sole criterion rather than
                one of several criteria by which to judge you. But even that is not
                the case. We know now for certain that you cannot read Greek. We also
                know that you are frivolous enough to attempt writing a major
                literaty work about Neoplatonism although you are not an expert in
                the field yourself. We also know that you now claim that everything
                you said in your profile you now admit to have been a lie; the reason
                you would have told such lies is not apperant to me, but you must
                admit it looks as though you wish to project a false persona. Why
                would that be? You also seem to suffer from the modern vice of
                imagining that you are somehow immune to the judgement of others,
                which only shows how far you are from understanding Greek thought.
                This is demonstrated also by your seeming lack of understanding that
                wisdom, or the ability to form cirtical judgements, comes first
                through introspection and self-knowledge, which obviously entails
                making harsh judgemnts agianst oneself and becoming aware of one's
                own imperfections. The fact is, I originally gave you good adivce,
                not to waste your time working on a project you know little about (as
                you yourself admitted by asking for help).

                To the other memebers of the group:
                I apologize for my excesses in this last series of postings, but
                perhaps you'll see why I could resist (it was mainly for my wife's
                amusment); but I won't waste anymore of your time with such nugae.

                --- In neoplatonism@y..., "Mojo_LA" <mojospfx@a...> wrote:
                > You're hysterical!
                >
                > Not only do you take it upon yourself to judge a person's
                suitability
                > to study philosophy, but your criteria is a Yahoo profile!
                >
                > Have you looked at your own? Here's your quote:
                >
                > "There is none righteous, no not one."
                >
                > Do you see the irony?
                >
                > By the way, I don't own a skateboard.
                >

                > Mojo
              • Mojo_LA
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
                  It's amazing how long you can ramble yet still ignore a very simple
                  point.

                  You claim that no one is righteous, yet you have taken a very
                  righteous stance in deciding for whom the study of philosophy is
                  appropriate.

                  Many early neoplatonists certainly looked down their nose at
                  the 'rabble' of society, looking to protect their wisdom from those
                  they deemed 'unworthy.'

                  Of course, this selectiveness (which christianity did not employ) is
                  partially responsible for its downfall.

                  In today's society, I imagine that most intelligent, forward thinking
                  people would welcome all who wish to learn. In fact, I'd bet good
                  money that any teacher worth their salt would jump for joy if even
                  ONE skateboard-toting, spikey-haired punk would express an interest
                  in philosophy.

                  It's a sincere tragedy that you feel a need to berate anyone who
                  wishes to expand their horizons. If your intent in attacking me was
                  to expose a fool, you've succeeded all too well.

                  Mojo