A text for meditation

  • Goya
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
      ἀναγνωρισάτω
      <ὁ>ἔννους
      ἑαυτὸν ὄντα
      ἀθάνατον, καὶ
      τὸν αἴτιον
      τοῦ θανάτου
      ἔρωτα,

      Poimandres (Corpus Hermeticum I), 18

      Let him who is endowed with intellect realize that he is immortal, and
      that the cause of death is sexual desire.

    • Jason Wingate
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
        Michael

        <<Let him who is endowed with intellect realize that he is immortal, and
        that the cause of death is sexual desire.>>

        That's certainly one way to read it!

        Compare with Symposium. Jason

        Lightning in an Oak Box

        Let him who is endowed with intellect realize that he is immortal, and
        that the cause of death is sexual desire.

      • John Michalski
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
          And THAT'S why I'm not a big fan of the Corpus Hermeticum! :-)

          Pax,

          John

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
            Well, every well-married husband knows to ask his wife what she thinks.

            Let him who is endowed with intellect realize that he is immortal, and
            that the cause of death is sexual desire.

          • Empedotimos
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
              1. We are rational soul (endowed with intellect) which is immortal.

              2.Death for the soul is to be born in the genesis realm.
                  ("ἐπειδὴ θάνατός ἐστι ψυχῆς ἡ εἰς σῶμα πτῶσις·"
                  Because death of the soul is the fall  in the body
                  Hermias - In Phaedrum 135.8 )

              3. Birth is caused by an action due  to sexual desire.

              Hence the validity of the quote.

              ---------------

              http://www.empedotimos.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
                Empedotimos,

                <<3. Birth is caused by an action due to sexual desire.

                Hence the validity of the quote.>>

                It's not that simple, surely, even if you do translate 'eros' as 'sexual desire'. Birth is not caused by sexual desire *alone*, and one's *own* birth is not caused by one's *own* sexual desire -- at least, not in any obvious way!

                In my opinion this quote has more to do with the sublimation of sexual energy from lower to higher uses as in the symposium. I actually used this quote in my blog piece here:

                http://lightningoak.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/of-love-and-immortality/

                ... posted a while back.

                I liked Mead's translation:

                Let him learn to know that he himself is deathless, and that the cause of death is love, though Love is all.

                It's a complex topic! j

                Lightning in an Oak Box