Proclus' so-named commentary on the Republic

  • pronoia12@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
      Is anyone here working on or know anyone who's working on a translation of
      Proclus' Republic commentary into English?

      Thanks

      Marilynn

    • John Dillon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2011

        > Is anyone here working on or know anyone who's working on a translation of
        > Proclus' Republic commentary into English?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Marilynn

        A nice question. No, I don¹t, except that Robert Lamberton is about to
        produce an excellent study, with text, translation and commentary, of the
        essay(s) on Plato and the Poets. It should be done. JMD

      • Tim Addey
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2011
          I meant to post something more after the postings on Hermeas' Commentary
          on the Phaedrus, in order to put forward a "wish list" of translations.
          Marilynn's question prompts me to go back to that and say that for some
          time I've thought the following ought to be available in English -

          Proclus - Scholia on the Republic
          Hermeas -- Commentary on the Phaedrus
          Olympiodorus -- Commentary on the First Alcibiades
          Damascius -- Commentary on the Parmenides

          It's good to hear that the Phaedrus Commentary could be on its way - is
          anybody thinking of working on the others? I'm sure the Prometheus
          Trust would be happy to offer to publish any of these, if that helps in
          any way.

          Tim Addey

          pronoia12@... wrote:

          > Is anyone here working on or know anyone who's working on a
          > translation of
          > Proclus' Republic commentary into English?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Marilynn
          >
          > [

        • marcusaurelius09
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
            It would be great to have an english translation - Festugiere's French translation is nice, pretty straightforward...

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
              Tim, we may have discussed this, but can you just reprint Westerink's translation of the Olympiodorus, or is it just an edition? I don't have a copy of this one, myself, so I don't honestly know if it's only an edition or has a translation as well:

              3.Commentary on Plato's Alcibiades I: L. G. Westerink, ed. (1956) Olympiodorus. Commentary on the first Alcibiades of Plato. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company.

              What a project, to translate the Proclus essays on the Republic. Oh, that is a tempting idea, but a lot of work!!!

              Dennis Clark

              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "marcusaurelius09" <marcusaurelius09@...> wrote:

              > It would be great to have an english translation - Festugiere's French translation is nice, pretty straightforward...
              >
              > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Tim Addey <tim@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I meant to post something more after the postings on Hermeas' Commentary
              > > on the Phaedrus, in order to put forward a "wish list" of translations.
              > > Marilynn's question prompts me to go back to that and say that for some
              > > time I've thought the following ought to be available in English -
              > >
              > > Proclus - Scholia on the Republic
              > > Hermeas -- Commentary on the Phaedrus
              > > Olympiodorus -- Commentary on the First Alcibiades
              > > Damascius -- Commentary on the Parmenides
              > >
              > > It's good to hear that the Phaedrus Commentary could be on its way - is
              > > anybody thinking of working on the others? I'm sure the Prometheus
              > > Trust would be happy to offer to publish any of these, if that helps in
              > > any way.
              > >
              > > Tim Addey
              > >

              > > pronoia12@ wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Is anyone here working on or know anyone who's working on a
              > > > translation of
              > > > Proclus' Republic commentary into English?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > >
              > > > Marilynn
              > > >
              > > > [

            • Tim Addey
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2011
                Dennis, unfortunately there's no translation accompanying the text in
                the Westerink edition - somewhat surprising because I think all his
                other neoplatonic texts are parallel texts and translations.

                Tim

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2011
                  Tim

                  Ah, interesting. But his is the only modern edition, I suspect - ? I need to try to get a copy of that. Must be available somehow out there. So it would make a good candidate for your translations, obviously. Thanks.

                  Dennis Clark