Final Call: Philosophy as a Way of Life

  • John H Spencer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2004
      Greetings to all,

      Please note the important updates to our final call for papers, and please pass
      it on to any interested grad students
      Thank you.
      John

      John H Spencer
      Department of Philosophy
      University of Liverpool

      University of Liverpool Graduate Student Philosophy Conference

      - Call for Papers -

      ‘Philosophy as a Way of Life’

      November 12-13, 2004

      Keynote Speakers

      - Dr. Michael McGhee, Head of the Department, University of Liverpool
      [http://www.liv.ac.uk/Philosophy/staff.html%5d

      - Dr. Michael Chase, National Center of Scientific Research (CNRS),
      Paris, France [http://www.islandnet.com/ideas/goya.html%5d

      'I dine, I play a game of back-gammon, I converse, and am merry with my
      friends;
      and when after three or for hour’s amusement, I wou’d return to these
      speculations, they appear so cold, and strain’d, and ridiculous, that I cannot
      find in my heart to enter into them any farther.' (David Hume)

      'The point is not always to speculate, but also ultimately to think about
      applying our knowledge. Today, however, he who lives in conformity with what he
      teaches is taken for a dreamer.' (Immanuel Kant)

      'Thus philosophers are strange, a race apart. Strange indeed are those
      Epicureans, who lead a frugal life, practicing total equality between the men
      and women inside their philosophical circle – and even between married women
      and courtesans; strange, too, those Roman Stoics who disinterestedly administer
      the provinces of the empire entrusted to them and are the only ones to take
      seriously the laws promulgated against excess; strange as well this roman
      Platonist, the Senator Rogatianus, a disciple of Plotinus, who on the very day
      he is to assume his functions as praetor gives up his responsibilities,
      abandons all his possessions, frees his slaves, and eats only every other
      day….By the time of the Platonic dialogues Socrates was called atopos, that is,
      “unclassifiable.” What makes him atopos is precisely the fact that he is a
      “philo-sopher” in the etymological sense of the word; that is, he is in love
      with wisdom. For wisdom, says Diotima in Plato’s Symposium, is not a human
      state, it is a state of perfection of being and knowledge that can only be
      divine. It is the love of this wisdom, which is foreign to the world, that
      makes the philosopher a stranger in it.' (Pierre Hadot)

      Hadot gives us a conception of philosophy that is essentially practical. But
      in
      what sense is it practical? What is the relationship between philosophical
      reflection and practical life? Is much of contemporary philosophy impoverished
      because it seems to lack such a relationship? Should we seek to rediscover the
      ancient way of living philosophically? Does one, for example, need to live a
      certain sort of life in order to be a philosopher? How, if at all, can
      philosophy change the way we live? Is the love of wisdom still essential to
      philosophy?

      We invite papers on any topic within this broad theme, whether from a
      historical
      or a contemporary perspective. We also welcome papers from postgraduate
      students in other disciplines. You must currently be doing a Masters or PhD or
      be a very recent graduate in order to submit an abstract. * Please send
      abstracts of 300 words (in the text of the email) to John Adams:
      jadam@.... The deadline for submissions is July 16th. If you have any
      further questions, please email John H Spencer at jhs@...

      More information, such as lodging, conference timetable, etc. will be available
      by early September on the department of philosophy webpage:
      www.liv.ac.uk/Philosophy/philos.html