RE: Re : [neoplatonism] Calcidius

  • F F
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
      A french translation is forthcoming (certainly before the end of the year) :

      Calcidius, Commentaire au Tim�e de Platon, Vrin, � Histoire des doctrines de l�antiquit� classique �. 900 p., 16 � 24 cm. ISBN : 978-2-7116-2264-1.

      Regards,

      F. Fauquier

      To: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com
      From: marcobormann@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:17:55 +0100
      Subject: Re : [neoplatonism] Calcidius

      Thanks a lot for your answers.

      Unfortunately the book by Moreschini seems to be out of print. And since I am
      located in Metz, France I have a very limited access to libraries.

      I found however a commentary to the second part of the book by Van Winden which
      also seems to provide translations.

      Marco

      ________________________________
      De : Goya <goya@...>
      � : neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com
      Envoy� le : Lun 27 juin 2011, 21h 05min 27s
      Objet : Re: [neoplatonism] Calcidius

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have been discovering and working on Calcidius' commentary for the last
      > couple of weeks. I find him particularly interesting as he cannot be
      > easiely attached to a school. But I am astonished to read everywhere, that
      > he did not know anything about neoplatonism after Plotinus. Even my
      > superficial reading stumbled over a lot of allusions to later neoplatonist
      > theories. For instance in par. 177, he speaks of "secunda mens", a second
      > nous and of a "anima mundi tripertita", a world soul with three parts.
      >
      > Any comments would be helpful.

      M.C. Not sure who has been peddling that viewpoint. Calcidius is clearly
      Neoplatonic, and it's highly likely he preserves material from Porphyry.

      Besides, does anyone know if there is a
      > translation of Calcidius?

      M.C. There's a quite good recent Italian translation by Moreschini et al.

      Best, Mike

      > Thanks,
      > Marco

    • John Leake
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
        I don't know whether this is helpful, but it still seems to be available according to the publisher's web site:

        libreriarizzoli.corriere.it

        http://libreriarizzoli.corriere.it/Commentario-al-Timeo-di-Platone.-Testo-latino-a-fronte/OQSsEWcVHhgAAAEp.e9n1sdy/pc?CatalogCategoryID=6a.sEWcWgfMAAAEpQYAfmqGA

        John