IJPT

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2011
      Got my copy yesterday of the Journal. So many interesting reviews this issue, and then it's also just a thick issue, especially with those two articles almost like small monographs. Lots of bang for the buck, as they say.

      Dennis Clark
    • Stoic Stoic
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2011
        Does neoplatonism still exist as a living philosophy / spirituality? Are there platonic or neoplatonic groups who meet up or try to practice neoplatonism in their lives?
        Im writing something on this for a book Im working on, would love to hear from people. Email me at jules.evans@...
        All best
        Jules
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 18, 2011
          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Stoic Stoic <londonstoic@...> wrote:

          > Does neoplatonism still exist as a living philosophy / spirituality? Are there platonic or neoplatonic groups who meet up or try to practice neoplatonism in their lives?
          > Im writing something on this for a book Im working on, would love to hear from people. Email me at jules.evans@...
          > All best
          > Jules
          > --- On Wed, 8/6/11, vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

          It appears to me that this is similar to asking: Does the school of Attic sculpture still exist? Certainly the achievements of that school of sculpture inspired the efforts of many artists since then, and up to the present time some artists continue to learned from studying Attic sculpture. Particularly in Renaissance Florence there was an effort to emulate. But, as great as the achievements of later artists may have been, the methods of training, the cultural context, and the surrounding religious ambiance was different; and the sculpture created later seems of a very different nature than the Attic.

          Likewise with Neoplatonism. It appears to me that the thread was lost when Justinian I closed all the schools of philosophy in 529 CE. What came latter was, of necessity, different.

          Malcolm Schosha
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 18, 2011
            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Stoic Stoic <londonstoic@...> wrote:

            > Does neoplatonism still exist as a living philosophy / spirituality? Are there platonic or neoplatonic groups who meet up or try to practice neoplatonism in their lives?
            > Im writing something on this for a book Im working on, would love to hear from people. Email me at jules.evans@...
            > All best
            > Jules
            > --- On Wed, 8/6/11, vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

            Personally I have never heard of such to that level of practice, but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It still gets related to other modern belief and scientific systems, and one example of that was discussed at this group some years back, concerning the very interesting book by the physicist Shimon Malin, "Nature Loves to Hide"

            http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Loves-Hide-Quantum-Perspective/dp/0195161092

            But so much of Neoplatonism, in as much as it can be seen a way of life, is I think very cerebral - unless again there are Neoplatonist theurgist cells out there I don't know about! - so then it's in some ways likely being practiced more than I would think, but it's just so internalized it might be hard to detect!

            And personal too - I personally am still all but convinced that Parmenides was right about the universe, all later science not withstanding. Not a Neoplatonist nor even a Platonist, but in so far as I hold that he got it right, that strict monism is how the the whole thing really works, though I cannot truly prove it, and I retain some doubt, but then I suppose you could say in that regard at least I am living as a Parmenidean.

            Not that I am not still fascinated with Neoplatonism. Of course!

            Dennis Clark
          • Marco
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 18, 2011
              The monism argument is quite well. Everyone who thinks that monism is the way to go in ultimately understanding nature is surely in the same boat with the neoplatonists.

              When it comes to neoplatonist practices, you might find some of that on this page: http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/
              I actually take it as a page of booksellers (mostly of Thomas Taylor translations), but they way the adverise makes them somewhat suspicious of theurgy ...

              Marco

              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

              > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Stoic Stoic <londonstoic@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Does neoplatonism still exist as a living philosophy / spirituality? Are there platonic or neoplatonic groups who meet up or try to practice neoplatonism in their lives?
              > > Im writing something on this for a book Im working on, would love to hear from people. Email me at jules.evans@
              > > All best
              > > Jules
              > > --- On Wed, 8/6/11, vaeringjar <vaeringjar@> wrote:
              > >

              > Personally I have never heard of such to that level of practice, but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It still gets related to other modern belief and scientific systems, and one example of that was discussed at this group some years back, concerning the very interesting book by the physicist Shimon Malin, "Nature Loves to Hide"
              >
              > http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Loves-Hide-Quantum-Perspective/dp/0195161092
              >
              > But so much of Neoplatonism, in as much as it can be seen a way of life, is I think very cerebral - unless again there are Neoplatonist theurgist cells out there I don't know about! - so then it's in some ways likely being practiced more than I would think, but it's just so internalized it might be hard to detect!
              >
              > And personal too - I personally am still all but convinced that Parmenides was right about the universe, all later science not withstanding. Not a Neoplatonist nor even a Platonist, but in so far as I hold that he got it right, that strict monism is how the the whole thing really works, though I cannot truly prove it, and I retain some doubt, but then I suppose you could say in that regard at least I am living as a Parmenidean.
              >
              > Not that I am not still fascinated with Neoplatonism. Of course!
              >
              > Dennis Clark

            • Nyk Cowham
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 18, 2011
                On 16 June 2011 20:28, Stoic Stoic <londonstoic@...> wrote:

                > **
                > Does neoplatonism still exist as a living philosophy / spirituality? Are
                > there platonic or neoplatonic groups who meet up or try to practice
                > neoplatonism in their lives?
                >
                > Im writing something on this for a book Im working on, would love to hear
                > from people. Email me at jules.evans@...
                > All best
                > Jules

                Yes it is still practiced today, but you will not find it on the internet
                and I would doubt that there are legitimate groups advertising. Although
                there are a few 'magickal' groups and esoteric orders who claim to be
                following Alexandrian traditions (Servants of the Light) or Iamblichian
                theurgy (Aurum Solis) that offer initiation and correspondence courses, such
                groups are more heavily influenced by the Florentine Renaissance and by
                other esoteric philosophies (gnostic, hermetic, rosicrucian, alchemical,
                etc). They teach magic rather than ancient theurgy.

                As far as I am aware the purely Platonic theological and theurgic tradition
                itself is only ever transmitted from practitioner to apprentice, rather than
                in a school format as in ancient times, and you would be hard pressed to
                find a qualified teacher these days, as they tend to live private lives. The
                curriculum is so demanding there are few modern people who are willing to do
                the study. For example, any serious teacher would demand that his/her
                students learn Attic Greek (and Koine) and follow something like the skopos
                of the Athenian Academy. That theoretical study alone is years of work
                before you ever get to so much as see a strophalos (iunx), or it's modern
                equivalent.

                However, much progress can be made via self-study, contemplation and study
                of ancient ritual practice. There are some good learning tools for studying
                Greek at least to the level where you can read and analyze key extracts from
                the Platonic corpus. A good foundation in math (number theory), geometry and
                music theory (tonal harmonics) is also quite essential. The surviving works
                of Proclus are of course excellent guides as is the Theologia Platonica of
                Ficino when read with a critical eye. A good grounding in Stoic ethics is
                also excellent to have as foundation for the higher mysteries of Platonic
                theurgy.

                Also, you might want to check out Pierre Grimes (
                http://academyofplatonicstudies.com/). He has a ton of videos of lectures
                that he has given that link into the Platonic tradition as a living wisdom
                tradition. It's about the only 'group' that I would say is legitimately
                Platonic, though not theurgic.

                Regards,

                Nyk.

              • Grant Potts
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 18, 2011
                  Greetings, everyone. Just a quick introduction, since this is my first post
                  here. I'm a religious studies scholar in Austin, Texas (I hold a position
                  at Austin Community College, and also teach at St. Edward's University), and
                  I've been looking at Neoplatonism in a number of dimensions in my
                  research--which is primarily on various American contemporary religious
                  communities. Professionally, I'm primarily interested in the role of
                  Neoplatonism in contemporary revivals, but I also have a personal interest
                  in Neoplatonism that is part of my larger interest in the philosophy of late
                  antiquity. I imagine for the most part, I will be reading here and only
                  posting when there is a matter I might address, like Jules's. So, to
                  address that, Jules,

                  Check this out:

                  http://www.cherryhillseminary.org/SI2011Webster.html

                  A while ago, I also taught a historical seminar on Neoplatonism and the Soul
                  for seminarians at Cherry Hill, and found that they were very interested in
                  the practical application of Neoplatonic philosophy in the ministerial work
                  within contemporary Pagan communities. There is certainly a debate within
                  that community around the utility of Neoplatonism, with some people
                  rejecting it as incompatible, but for some contemporary Pagan practitioners
                  it seems to provide one source of substantive reflection that they can
                  incorporate in their own philosophies and theologies.

                  I also became aware of interest within Neoplatonism around Christian
                  esoteric groups and ritual magic groups in the mid-atlantic, when I was in
                  Philadelphia, but I ran into them in passing while doing research on other
                  projects, and never noted down their contact information, etc.

                  If you are doing this research, yo may want to contact Sam Webster directly,
                  as I think he is aware of a number of different communities and groups
                  engaging with Neoplatonism on a practical, constructive level. He's an
                  American scholar from the bay area, but he is currently in England
                  completing his PhD.

                  Take care,
                  Grant

                  On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM, vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Stoic Stoic <londonstoic@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does neoplatonism still exist as a living philosophy / spirituality? Are
                  > there platonic or neoplatonic groups who meet up or try to practice
                  > neoplatonism in their lives?�
                  > > Im writing something on this for a book Im working on, would love to hear
                  > from people. Email me at jules.evans@...
                  > > All best
                  > > Jules
                  > > --- On Wed, 8/6/11, vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > Personally I have never heard of such to that level of practice, but that
                  > certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It still gets related to other
                  > modern belief and scientific systems, and one example of that was discussed
                  > at this group some years back, concerning the very interesting book by the
                  > physicist Shimon Malin, "Nature Loves to Hide"
                  >
                  > http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Loves-Hide-Quantum-Perspective/dp/0195161092
                  >
                  > But so much of Neoplatonism, in as much as it can be seen a way of life, is
                  > I think very cerebral - unless again there are Neoplatonist theurgist cells
                  > out there I don't know about! - so then it's in some ways likely being
                  > practiced more than I would think, but it's just so internalized it might be
                  > hard to detect!
                  >
                  > And personal too - I personally am still all but convinced that Parmenides
                  > was right about the universe, all later science not withstanding. Not a
                  > Neoplatonist nor even a Platonist, but in so far as I hold that he got it
                  > right, that strict monism is how the the whole thing really works, though I
                  > cannot truly prove it, and I retain some doubt, but then I suppose you could
                  > say in that regard at least I am living as a Parmenidean.
                  >
                  > Not that I am not still fascinated with Neoplatonism. Of course!

                  ---------
                  Grant H. Potts, Ph.D.
                  Associate Professor, Religion
                  Austin Community College
                  http://www.religiousthought.com/

                • Ebrahim Mousavi
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 19, 2011
                    Could religious thinkers who have accepted neoplatonism as
                    a best system of philosophy be counted as neoplatonists? In Islamic Philosophy
                    there is a great school by the name of Transcendental Theosophy which its
                    center is upon this approach. Mulla Sadra is affected by it, and he has
                    enormously directed later thinkers until now.

                    ________________________________
                    > Does neoplatonism still exist as a living philosophy / spirituality? Are there platonic or neoplatonic groups who meet up or try to practice neoplatonism in their lives?
                    > Im writing something on this for a book Im working on, would love to hear from people. Email me at jules.evans@...
                    > All best
                    > Jules
                    > --- On Wed, 8/6/11, vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

                    Personally I have never heard of such to that level of practice, but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It still gets related to other modern belief and scientific systems, and one example of that was discussed at this group some years back, concerning the very interesting book by the physicist Shimon Malin, "Nature Loves to Hide"

                    http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Loves-Hide-Quantum-Perspective/dp/0195161092

                    But so much of Neoplatonism, in as much as it can be seen a way of life, is I think very cerebral - unless again there are Neoplatonist theurgist cells out there I don't know about! - so then it's in some ways likely being practiced more than I would think, but it's just so internalized it might be hard to detect!

                    And personal too - I personally am still all but convinced that Parmenides was right about the universe, all later science not withstanding. Not a Neoplatonist nor even a Platonist, but in so far as I hold that he got it right, that strict monism is how the the whole thing really works, though I cannot truly prove it, and I retain some doubt, but then I suppose you could say in that regard at least I am living as a Parmenidean.

                    Not that I am not still fascinated with Neoplatonism. Of course!

                  • Tzvi Langermann
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2013
                      Wake up, list! There's new issue of the IJPT posted on Brill's web-site, still open access.
                      http://www.brill.com/international-journal-platonic-tradition
                      Cheers,
                      Tzvi Langermann

                    • Ted Hand
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 29, 2013
                        Thanks for the link! That sure kept me busy for the evening.