Re: Divine Darkness

  • Melanie Brawn Mineo
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2004
      Since I don't usually get involved in these sorts of conversations,
      preferring drive-by interjections, please attribute all errors to
      beginner's mind.... Thank you.

      Schürmann's article, to me, is _very_ interesting, simply perhaps
      because it shakes things up a bit. It first (?) appeared in
      NEOPLATONISM AND NATURE (2002), with an extended version to be found
      in his BROKEN HEGEMONIES (Indiana Univ Pr: 2003)—both posthumously.

      S. delineates an understanding of the difference between ONE
      (non-being) and NOUS/MIND (being) as being the difference between a
      verb and a noun. Plotinus himself never equates to hen with to einai,
      he says, however, a later Neoplatonist called "Anonymous of Turino,"
      writes: "The One that is beyond substance (ousia) and beyond being
      (ontos) is neither being, nor substance, nor act, but rather it acts
      and is itself pure acting, so that it is itself "the to be" (to
      einai), that which is prior to being (ontos)"(N & N, 159).

      This striking text, he says, states the ontological difference between
      the first and second hypostases as being "clearly expressed as the
      difference between 'to be' and 'a being'; between the indeterminate or
      pure 'is' and determinate sum of all beings; between the verbal and
      the nominal participle" (N & N, 160).

      Re the ONE/Primordial Time, he discusses this in the context of
      Heidegger's Ereignis—a notion he acknowledges as heretical within the
      context of Neoplatonism—but which, he adds, may allow us to raise the
      question of the _temporality_ (my emphasis) of the ONE. Perhaps our
      Heidegger experts in the group (you know who you are!) can elucidate? M

      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Andy K." <a.a553@n...> wrote:
      > Melanie Brawn Mineo wrote:
      > > Reiner Schürmann puts forth: the One, as no-thing (me on) and to-be
      > > (to einai) "is best described as event" . . . . The One _is_ the
      > > directionality of all things. As such, it is primordial time" ("The
      > > One: Substance or Function?", in NEOPLATONISM AND NATURE, ed. M.
      > > Wagner, SUNY Press: 2002, pp. 162-164).
      >
      > Pardon my intrusion, no student of Ancient Philosophy am I, but this
      sounds
      > very un-Plotinian: Plotinus reminds us time and again that the One is
      > without attributes, even oneness, and that time is characteristic of
      > Universal Soul, Nous being timeless. On the latter point, I'm often
      confused
      > by his "other" claim that there *is* change in Nous, and it is
      "boiling with
      > life", so I may be wrong. If anybody would care to clear up my confusion
      > then I would be indebted.
    • Giannis Stamatellos
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
        Bruno's position on the identity of Matter with the
        One appears in the fourth chapter of his work Cause,
        Principle and Unity. In this chapter, Bruno identifies
        the Plotinian sensible matter with intelligible
        matter. Actually, Wallis observes Bruno's argument and
        correctly mentions that on this identification he goes
        one step further than the ancient Neoplatonists.
        Within this framework, as you correctly point out, the
        Neoplatonic influence to later philosophical tradition
        appears to have multi-divergent undiscovered aspects.

        Best
        Giannis

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/