Fw: Philosophy in Danger at UNLV

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2011
      FYI

      --- On Fri, 3/11/11, American Philosophical Association <apaonline@...> wrote:

      From: American Philosophical Association <apaonline@...>
      Subject: Philosophy in Danger at UNLV
      To: t_mether@...
      Date: Friday, March 11, 2011, 8:15 AM

      Problem viewing this email? Click here for our online version

      March 11, 2011

      Philosophy in Danger at UNLV

      Dear APA Member:

      This past Tuesday, March 8, Dr. Neal J. Smatresk, President of the University of Nevada at Las Vegas , issued a “Letter to the Campus” in which he recommends a number of budget cuts in the event of threatened cuts in university support from the state of Nevada . One item included in the President’s recommendations is an elimination of the Philosophy Department at UNLV. The full text of the President’s letter, along with supporting links, is available at http://go.unlv.edu/budget/2011.03.08-unlv.official. Additional information is available in an article from the Las Vegas Review-Journal at
      http://www.lvrj.com/news/unlv-to-kill-315-jobs-33-degree-programs-to-meet-proposed-budget-cuts-117623393.html.

      The elimination of the Philosophy Department would be devastating to the 85 Philosophy Majors and eleven Philosophy faculty members at UNLV, and would do serious harm to the many other students who take philosophy courses as an important part of their UNLV education. Beyond that, it is the first case of which I am aware in which a major state university has proposed to eliminate its entire philosophy program. This makes the situation at UNLV a particularly important threat to the discipline of philosophy in a time when large numbers of universities face budgetary pressures from state government.

      The relevant administrators at UNLV are: Dr. Neal J. Smatresk, President (neal.smatresk@...); Michael W. Bowers, Executive Vice President and Provost (michael.bowers@...); Chris Hudgins, Dean of Liberal Arts (chris.hudgins@...). Their snail mail addresses would all be:  University of Nevada , Las Vegas , 4505 S. Maryland Pkwy , Las Vegas , NV 89154 . If you are concerned by the developments at UNLV please consider contacting these administrators.

      The decision will ultimately be made by the University of Nevada Board of Regents. We will post additional information as the situation develops.

      Most sincerely,
      David E. Schrader
      Executive Director
      American Philosophical Association

      The American Philosophical Association
      31 Amstel Avenue
      University of Delaware
      Newark, DE 19716

      To unsubscribe, please click here

    • John Uebersax
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2011
        I might be more concerned if I didn't believe that, with university tuition today being criminally high, students are being cheated in any case.

        So UNLV has determined that, in today's 'competitive' environment, philosophy has a lower priority than business or technology classes. Fine. Why not bring back the ancient practice of teaching philosophy in dedicated schools of philosophy?

        It seems that young people are hoodwinked into believing they need a diploma from an "accredited" school to get a good job. It's form over substance. A shoddy, accredited college is deemed better than an excellent, unaccredited one. Hence the large public and private universities have a monopoly.

        Best,

        John

        Best,

        John
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2011
          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, John Uebersax <john.uebersax@...> wrote:

          > I might be more concerned if I didn't believe that, with university tuition today being criminally high, students are being cheated in any case.
          >
          > So UNLV has determined that, in today's 'competitive' environment, philosophy has a lower priority than business or technology classes. Fine. Why not bring back the ancient practice of teaching philosophy in dedicated schools of philosophy?
          >
          > It seems that young people are hoodwinked into believing they need a diploma from an "accredited" school to get a good job. It's form over substance. A shoddy, accredited college is deemed better than an excellent, unaccredited one. Hence the large public and private universities have a monopoly.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > John

          I think we can sum it all up with one word, "corporatization".