ISNS Subject Proposal

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2011
      1. What is the relation of sexuality and Neoplatonism?
      2. How do male and female perspectives converge or diverge
      on that as it relates to sexuality (in this question I include
      gay, lesbian, and bi-sexual input since a big issue in Buddhist
      tantra involving male-female, basically, heterosexual imagery
      means what for bi and non-heterosexuals -- and Jeffrey Hopkins
      took it up front with the Dalai Lama)?
      3. Ancient and modern: neoplatonist attitudes and practices towards sexuality in ancient or medieval or premodern vs contemporary times (I suspect) contemporary attitudes.

      What should a Neoplatonist attitude towards sex be? Neoplatonically, what is sex? Neoplatonically, is it nothing to be avoided, hetereosexual, bi-sexual, homo-sexual, excluding some categories, or including all categories?

      Next to mortality, it doesn't get closer to life in the raw than this. What light can Neoplatonism shed on these questions?

      Thomas