Fw: BMCR 2004.05.02, Alexandrine Schniewind, L'e/thique du sage

  • Edward Moore
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 10:39 AM
      From: <owner-bmcr-l@...>
      To: <unlisted-recipients:>; <no To-header on input>
      Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 7:11 AM
      Subject: BMCR 2004.05.02, Alexandrine Schniewind, L'e/thique du sage

> [...]
      > rather the 'undescended', higher soul of his own system.
      >
      > The core of the monograph is in fact a fairly close exegesis of Enn. I.
      > 4 [46]: On Well-Being (peri eudaimonias), and in Ch. II S. provides
      > some remarks preliminary to that. Here S. makes one very sound
      > observation, and one that is not so sound. It is helpful, I think, to
      > note (p. 55) that I 4 [46] can be viewed together with III 2-3 [47-8]:
      > On Providence, and indeed V 3 [49]: On the Knowing Hypostases and What
      > is Beyond, as constituting a late conspectus of salient issues in
      > Plotinus' ethics and his physics; not so fortunate, it seems to me, is
      > her suggestion (pp. 66-7) that the treatise is pitched at three
      > pedagogic levels: chs. 1-4, which are primarily doxographic, at an
      > outer circle of auditors, 5-11 at more advanced disciples, and 12-16 at
      > an inner circle of 'assistants', such as Amelius and Porphyry. I think
      > it highly unlikely that Plotinus was intending any such distinction,
      > though he does only gradually reveal the full complexity of his
      > position.
      >
      > At any rate, the next four chapters (III: La de/finition du bonheur du
      > traite/ I 4; IV: La nature double de l'homme; V: L'homme heureux dans
      > la traite/ I 4; VI: Le spoudaios dans la traite/ I 4) in effect take us
      > through the tractate, focussing primarily on the uses of the terms
      > eudaimo^n and spoudaios, as well as (most interestingly) on the use of
      > the term allos anthro^pos, 'other man' to denote the 'inner man', or
      > higher consciousness of the sage. It is a useful exercise, and very
      > lucidly performed. Just one detail I would draw attention to here: in a
      > section on the 'joy and tranquillity' of the sage, where she notes that
      > P. uses the adjective hileo^s at 12. 8, she might have recognized that
      > P. is probably borrowing the term from Plato, Laws VII 792CD -- a most
      > interesting passage.
      >
      > A further chapter surveys other uses of the term spoudaios throughout
      > the Enneads, notably certain passages in III 4, III 2, IV 3, III 1, IV
      > 4, III 8, II 9, and I 2, all of which serve to fill out in various ways
      > our view of the spoudaios. At various places she is concerned to
      > emphasise the concern shown by the sage, as Plotinus portrays him, for
      > the welfare of others, and that is something I would not deny; but it
      > remains nonetheless crucial, I think, that no concern for the
      > misfortunes of others can be allowed to interfere with the sage's inner
      > calm (cf. I 4, 32ff.). Plotinus' benevolence resembles, it seems to me,
      > that of the One itself, not that of Mother Teresa.
      >
      > Finally, in a brief Conclusion, she summarizes her findings, and
      > appends a comprehensive bibliography and useful indices of passages
      > quoted and of the chief concepts discussed. I find the work a most
      > useful addition to scholarship on Plotinus' ethics, even if I remain in
      > disagreement with some of its conclusions.

    • ...
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 9:31 PM
        Has anyone seen the somewhat new book
        Neoplatonic Philosophy: Introductory Readings?
        (edited by John Dillon, on Hackett Pub)

        Very curious as to the contents, but cannot
        seem to find a TOC or any real information
        on the it. No local bookstores are presently
        carrying this and I was hoping someone here
        might be able to serve me some details on this
        before I decide what edition to order.

        Thanks,
        Chris
      • Edward Moore
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 1:42 AM
          Here is the book description from Amazon.com:

          "The most comprehensive collection of Neoplatonic writings available in
          English, this volume provides translations of the central texts of four
          major figures of the Neoplatonic tradition: Plotinus, Porphyry, Iamblichus,
          and Proclus. The general Introduction gives an overview of the period and
          takes a brief but revealing look at the history of ancient philosophy from
          the viewpoint of the Neoplatonists. Historical background-essential for
          understanding these powerful, difficult, and sometimes obscure thinkers-is
          provided in extensive footnotes, which also include cross-references to
          other works relevant to particular passages."
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0872207072/qid=1083559873/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1383903-2347049?v=glance&s=books

          I have ordered this book for myself, and will be glad to offer a
          description/review, after I peruse the volume. In any case, given the
          quality of work produced by the editors of this volume, I see no reason not
          to purchase it forthwith.

          Regards,

          Edward Moore, S.T.L.