Porphyry's History of Philosophy

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2004
      I just received the Bude edition of Porphyry's Life of Pythagoras
      and Letter to Marcella reissued in 2003, and I was pleased to find
      it also has as an appendix a French translation with extensive notes
      of the fragments of his History of Philosophy, by Segonds.

      One thing in the notes that caught my eye was mention (p.190 n.4) of
      a work called "Definitiones pseudo-platoniciennes" - I have no idea
      of what this work is. Is there a text of it available? If so, there
      is no mention of it in the bibliography of the book. Just thought I
      would ask here in the group. Thanks.

      Dennis Clark
      San Francisco
    • Cosmin I. Andron
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
        I don't have the edition at hand but my guess is that the work you are
        referring to is the apocryphal collection of definitions one finds in
        pretty much any complete edition of Plato's works (along spurious
        dialogues, etc.) and starts somewhere at Stephanus 411 up to 416. It
        should be in vol. 5 of Burnet's Plato in OUP and if am not mistaken also
        translated in J Cooper ed. Plato omnibus with Hacket.
        With every best wish, yours
        Cosmin

        Email: cosmin.andron@...
      • Edward Moore
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2004
          Cosmin is exactly correct. I do have the edition at hand, and the
          pseudo-Platonic _Definitiones_ are in J. Burnet, _Platonis opera_, vol. 5
          (Oxford: Clarendon Press 1907, 1967), 411.a.1-416.a.36.

          E. Moore, S.T.L.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2004
            Thanks, gentlemen, for pointing me to a book I already have, he said
            sheepishly. I was unable however to find any mention of these in any
            of the general studies of philosophy or Platonism that I have - is
            there any knowledge of when or by whom they were written? Thanks,

            Dennis CLark
            San Francisco

            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Moore" <emoore@t...>