Warning about your e-mail account.

  • ytl@mail.biu.ac.il
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
      Dear user of e-mail server "Yahoogroups.com",

      Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.

      Advanced details can be found in attached file.

      The Management,
      The Yahoogroups.com team http://www.yahoogroups.com

    • Endymion
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2004
        > From: ytl@...
        > Dear user of e-mail server "Yahoogroups.com",
        >
        > Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized
        access.

        > Advanced details can be found in attached file.
        >
        > The Management,
        > The Yahoogroups.com team
        http://www.yahoogroups.com

        This is a virus! I accidentally opened it during one of less lucid days and
        I still can't kill it. Does anyone know how to remove it from my PC? AVG is
        completely helpless...

        Trance-and-dance,
        e.

        ---
      • Melanie Brawn Mineo
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2004
          Re this virus, I knew something was up since for the past two weeks or
          so, I have been receiving ret'd emails (that "I" did not send) from
          all over creation (as likely many of you have). Thankfully I have a
          MAC, and thus am not seriously plagued by this nonsense. So, having
          said this, if any of you have rec'd emails coming from "me" (with
          attachments), it wasn't me who sent them! Good Luck!

          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Endymion" <pmmcof@E...> wrote:
          > > From: ytl@m...
          > > Dear user of e-mail server "Yahoogroups.com",
          > >
          > > Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of
          unauthorized
          > access.
          > >
          > > Advanced details can be found in attached file.
          > >
          > > The Management,
          > > The Yahoogroups.com team
          > http://www.yahoogroups.com
          >
          > This is a virus! I accidentally opened it during one of less lucid
          days and I still can't kill it. Does anyone know how to remove it from
          my PC? AVG is completely helpless...

          > Trance-and-dance,
          > e.
        • Cosmin I. Andron
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2004
            Dear List Members,

            Lovely medium, the internet... And as such a medium, it harbours
            parasites like viruses and spammers. I've taken two (and all) means to
            prevent this list being subjected to such epidemics.

            As you may have noticed (but this is just in case you didn't) joining
            this list as well as posting on it is vetted by me (hmm the privilege of
            the list owner!). Very few of you can post without me having to approve
            the message and I chose these people very carefully. This is to prevent
            any discussion which has no or very little bearing on the purpose of the
            list. This way it will manage to retain its members and be an
            environment where one can ask a relevant question and (most often) get a
            pertinent reply. Also, keeping the membership list private your email
            addresses are not published on the web and the 'crawlers' (programs
            designed to collect email addresses for spam/'marketing' purposes)
            cannot register them. Thus spamming is virtually impossible to happen as
            originating here.

            The second measure was to block the sending of attachments through the
            list. This means that no message received through the list can transport
            any type of viruses or bugs, making any email received through this
            means 'safe as houses'.

            For your personal peace of mind remember that the use of desktop level
            protection, i.e. antivirus programs and firewalls minimises considerably
            the chances that your work-loaded-highly-expensive typing machine/gaming
            device will suffer sudden coughs. If not ready to splash the cash on
            such programmes (e.g. the Norton programmes), still can get free
            protection by using programmes such as: AVG Antivirus [ available to
            download from http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.htm#FREE ] and the
            ZoneAlarm firewall [ available to download from
            http://www.zonelabs.com/products/za/index.html ]

            If you have any wories about viruses or security threats you can find
            help following these links:

            [1] http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

            [2] https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

            With every best wish, yours
            Cosmin

            Cosmin I. Andron BA, MA (Cluj), PhD cand.

            Department of Classics
            Royal Holloway College
            University of London
            Egham
            Surrey TW20 OEX
            England

            Phone: 0044 (0) 7759 188 337
            Email: C.I.Andron@...

            Web page: www.cosmin-andron.com

            Re this virus, I knew something was up since for the past two weeks or
            so, I have been receiving ret'd emails (that "I" did not send) from
            all over creation (as likely many of you have). Thankfully I have a
            MAC, and thus am not seriously plagued by this nonsense. So, having
            said this, if any of you have rec'd emails coming from "me" (with
            attachments), it wasn't me who sent them! Good Luck!

            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Endymion" <pmmcof@E...> wrote:
            > > From: ytl@m...
            > > Dear user of e-mail server "Yahoogroups.com",
            > >
            > > Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of
            unauthorized
            > access.
            > >
            > > Advanced details can be found in attached file.
            > >
            > > The Management,
            > > The Yahoogroups.com team
            > http://www.yahoogroups.com
            >
            > This is a virus! I accidentally opened it during one of less lucid
            days and I still can't kill it. Does anyone know how to remove it from
            my PC? AVG is completely helpless...

            > Trance-and-dance,
            > e.

            Yahoo! Groups Links