Re: [neoplatonism] Help!: Christmas Wish List

  • John Dillon
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 5, 2010

      > List,
      >
      > My wife asked me again what I want for Christmas. I carve tree trunks (dead
      > trees) and need a new Merlin set for the rough carving before hand fine-tuning
      > it. Our property has herms and Silvanus/silvestris around like any ancient
      > Italian villa but she is asking for a booklist.
      >
      > I know the list doesn't know what books I have but it might be useful to the
      > list and help me with my wife if we did Christmas book recommendations.
      > Another dilemma is she likes to give fine bound books; I like them also but I
      > also like books to mark up with annotation (NO UNDERLINES!!) and cross index
      > with other books. I'm pretty much up to date in Vedanta and Buddhism; so if I
      > am to do a Christmas list for books, it is Neoplatonism.
      >
      > List? Recommendations?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Thomas

      Well, I presume you have Greg Shaw¹s ŒTheurgy and the Soul¹ - and the
      various works of Pierre Hadot translated by Michael Chase? JMD

    • dgallagher@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 5, 2010
        Thomas & List,

        Given the prospect of holiday book purchases, and, hopefully, not
        inappropriate to mention here, The Labyrinth Society (a 501c3 non-profit
        organization) will benefit financially if you are located in North America and order
        from Amazon.com. There's a referral link on our splash and home pages at
        _www.labyrinthsociety.org_ (http://www.labyrinthsociety.org) . Or just use
        this link: _Shop Amazon.com_
        (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=labyrinths&tag=thelabysociwe-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&crea
        tive=9325) . You'll know you've reached Amazon via our portal if the page
        opens with a listing of books related to labyrinths. If the _Shop
        Amazon.com_
        (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=labyrinths&tag=thelabysociwe-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325) link doesn't
        work via the listserve, the URL is:

        _http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=labyrinths&tag=thelabysoci
        we-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325_
        (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=labyrinths&tag=thelabysociwe-20&index=blende
        d&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325)

        And you might enjoy browsing our beautiful website.

        Chartres, of course, was a center of Neoplatonism in the Late Middle Ages,
        and it's no mere coincidence the first walkable medieval labyrinth is
        located in the nave of the cathedral.

        With appreciation,

        David Gallagher
        Executive Director
        The Labyrinth Society

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 5, 2010
          Apologies for the garbled mess. I now understand how embedded links
          present via the listserve.

          David

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2010
            Thanks Kathryn and John,
            My Renaissance collection is short. It is meatier with the Cambridge Platonists. I have everything connected to Boehme, including unpublished conventicle sessions -- a meeting of question and answers or guidance in terms of "try this" -- as part of the family lineage of Boehme conventicles. So thank you Kathryn, it is on my Christmas list.

            John,

            Thank you for the recommendation. Just to let you know, I have your works. I have what is in print of Hadot's. Plus I have several copies of Greg's work. Three copies to be exact. Two are annotated. As I read, I put in the margin a number. At the bottom of the page, I make a short comment and reference. One copy of Greg's book is systematically cross-referenced to Vedic ritual and Tantra (both Hindu and Buddhist -- btw, tantra has nothing to do with sex. It is ritual. The Japanese Tea Ceremony is closer to Tantra than most western views of Tantra depict. There are some tantric sex exercises/tests -- it is not sex in any common meaning of the word -- it is simultaneously a test of one's meditative power to not get seduced, to have the power to be aroused yet not identified with the aroursal, to maintain the meditative state, and the intensity of the test leads to a break-through in both a higher state of being and detachment -- apatheia. Sexual ritual,
            undertaken as a Tea Ceremony, is rare. Tantra is basically ritual; making life ritual -- theurgy). The other copy to late classical paganism, Neoplatonism and Eastern Orthodox Christianity. Although I might need another copy of Greg's book to annotate and cross-reference with East Asia temple dance, sacred dance, as theurgy.

            Thanks, Thomas

            From: Thomas Mether <t_mether@...>
            Subject: [neoplatonism] Help!: Christmas Wish List
            To: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Saturday, December 4, 2010, 8:14 PM

            List,

            My wife asked me again what I want for Christmas. I carve tree trunks (dead trees) and need a new Merlin set for the rough carving before hand fine-tuning it. Our property has herms and Silvanus/silvestris around like any ancient Italian villa but she is asking for a booklist.

            I know the list doesn't know what books I have but it might be useful to the list and help me with my wife if we did Christmas book recommendations. Another dilemma is she likes to give fine bound books; I like them also but I also like books to mark up with annotation (NO UNDERLINES!!) and cross index with other books. I'm pretty much up to date in Vedanta and Buddhism; so if I am to do a Christmas list for books, it is Neoplatonism.

            List? Recommendations?

            Thanks,
            Thomas

          • John Uebersax
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 5, 2010
              Not exactly Neoplatonism (is Gnosticism close enough?), but Jung's Red Book might make a good gift:

              http://www.google.com/search?q=jung%27s+red+book

              John Uebersax
            • Kathryn Evans
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 5, 2010
                Great recommendation John.

                The Red Book is exquisite: a facsimile of Jung's calligraphy & hand-drawn/illuminated journal of the journey of his own Psyche, with English translation and Introduction. Jung was well-versed in the Tibetan mandala tradition, and flavors of the Orient (if you will) are suffused throughout his drawings.

                What interests me though, about the very systematic development of Idea that Jung documents in Form, is the Occidental flavor of the images, which appear as Egyptian lotus and sun symbols for instance, with juxtaposition of Alchemical opposites. . . . . Either way, make room on your shelf for a very large book!

                Kathryn

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 6, 2010

> [...]
                  > "Experience-Only" absolute idealism.
                  >
                  > Offhand, all I can offer for your Christmas Wish List is not a fine bound
                  > book, but a very high quality hardback book by a Renaissance Neoplatonist (an
                  > era that rarely comes up on this list, but sincere Neoplatonism nonetheless;)
                  >
                  > Marsilio Ficino. Three Books on Life. (De Vita.) A Critical Edition and
                  > Translation with Introduction and Notes by Carol V. Kaske and John R. Clark.
                  > Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies Volume 57. The Renaissance Society
                  > of America, Renaissance Text Series Volume 11. Tempe: Arizona Center for
                  > Medieval and Renaissance Studies & The Renaissance Society of America, 2002.
                  >
                  > Judging from the eclectic range of your interests, I know you'd like this
                  > book.
                  >
                  > Sympathizing with wives looking for good gifts to give husbands,

                  Yes. I seriously underestimated you! My apologies. I will have to think of
                  more exotic possibilities. John

                • Kathryn Evans
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 6, 2010
                    Thomas,

                    If you're just branching into Renaissance Neoplatonism, Volumes 1-6 of Michael Allen's Marsilio Ficino: Platonic Theology are a must, and go without saying among those who study Renaissance Neoplatonism. They're available through Amazon as copied below.

                    All Best,

                    Kathryn
                    Platonic Theology, Volume 1: Books I-IV (I Tatti Renaissance Library) [Hardcover]
                    Marsilio Ficino (Author), James Hankins (Editor), Michael J. B. Allen (Translator)

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 6, 2010
                      Its on my list. It looks like something in the Boehmist-Gichtel genre. Thanks!

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 6, 2010
                        I have them. Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 6, 2010
                          John's recommendation of the Red Book was absolutely great.

                          I have original Gichtel works depicting Boehme's ideas and a really colorful 18th edition of Cudworth's True Intellectual System of the World.

                          What I like about John's recommendation is the color and graphics. What I'd really like to see and buy (or invest in as subscriber) is new production of old books in original format.
                          Why? I don't know how far this applies generally but I'm told it applies to the Cambridge Platonists. I know of only one case because I have inherited originals. One of the tricks for some alchemical texts, after print and paper manufacturing were perfected, was a water mark that completed a diagram which otherwise made it useless. For study, we need to know of such practices to produce critical editions and I don't see it as being done.

                          But apart from that, in light of John's excellent recommendation (others made excellent recommendations but John's is unique), what about doing high quality fascimile reproductions of works. I also have some first edition stuff of Blake. Why isn't it reproduced in the same format? I suggest the Red Book recommended by John indicates much of the information might be missing if we don't reproduce the original documents in their original format.

                          Best to all, Thomas

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 6, 2010
                            List,

                            I think I'm suggesting that, at least some, of the early books were the "multi-media" media of the time. This is certainly true of the Boehmist tradition via Gichtel. Important parts of his diagrams are not reproduced because they don't know of the watermarks.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 9, 2010
                              Thomas,

                              A few more ideas:

                              1. A couple of years ago at the Leuven University philosophy library I ran across a nice facsimile edition of Ficino's translation of De Mysteriis, but I can't supply the publisher or publication date.

                              2. Since you mentioned subscription books: an original version of Manly Hall's 'The Secret Teachings of All Ages' (1928; also later 'Collectors editions') might be a nice acquisition. The work is thin in certain areas (like Neoplatonism), but the overall scope of the work is very impressive.

                              > the Boehmist tradition via Gichtel. Important parts of his
                              > diagrams are not reproduced because they don't know of the watermarks.

                              3. Some of William Law's English translations included pop-up diagrams!

                              Best,

                              John Uebersax
                            • Bruce MacLennan
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 9, 2010
                                Thomas et al.,

                                On the theme of the Red Book, if price is no object, the M. Moleiro facsimile of the Splendor Solis is gift I would love to find under the Saturnalia Tree!

                                <http://www.moleiro.com/en/miscellanea/splendor-solis.html>.

                                (No price is posted on the website. You know, "If you have to ask..." For the rest of us, it's above $7K.)

                                Bona Saturnalia!
                                Bruce MacLennan

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 9, 2010
                                  --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, John Uebersax <john.uebersax@...> wrote:

                                  > Thomas,
                                  >
                                  > A few more ideas:
                                  >
                                  > 1. A couple of years ago at the Leuven University philosophy library I ran across a nice facsimile edition of Ficino's translation of De Mysteriis, but I can't supply the publisher or publication date.

                                  Oh, well...if anyone has a direct line to Santa Claus or any of his Neoplatonic helpers or elves...Dennis has been VERY good, as in perfect on his crazy diet the last two months...and so, would very, very much like a copy of said facsimile edition for Christmas... :)

                                  Dennis Clark
                                  Hoping for fewer lumps of coal
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 9, 2010
                                    John,

                                    I have a 1st edition and collectors edition of Manly Hall's book plus his one on man.
                                    I was in the used and rare book trade in San Francisco for 10 years not to make a profit but satisfy a bibliomantic enthusiasm.

                                    Your comments about William Law remind me that the philosopher-mathematician Robert Tragesser a few years ago found a neoplatonic book on Euclid's Geometry that had pop-up shapes and volumes.
                                    Best, Thomas

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 10, 2010
                                      Bruce,

                                      I actually have one of the original Splendor Solis. In terms of its value, it is compromised in that it was re-bound, before I bought it. But then again, without that, it would have been lost entire. I also have copies of the Phanes Press edition.

                                      What I'm suggesting is an issue is not just text and graphics, in the book age, but the method of manufacture and watermarks on the paper. The physical culture of making a book of spiritual importance means a mere copy of it is not a true copy in terms of its meaning/contents.

                                      So, it becomes whether a fascimile is, indeed, one. This really only pertains to texts after there is a book technology where all is not the print contents (text or pictures). Thomas

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 10, 2010
                                        Thomas,

                                        As a student of alchemical illustration I just want to say that it's
                                        wonderful to hear this perspective from you.
                                        I'm interested in theorizing this contemporary problem, now that texts are
                                        migrating to ebooks, or people not
                                        seeing the difference between texts and printouts, making these sophomoric
                                        arguments that it doesn't matter.
                                        The next time I teach my alchemy course I'll definitely want to mention the
                                        rare book owner's perpective.
                                        I try to emphasize to my students that there's interesting research going on
                                        into the connection between
                                        alchemy and materials science behind producing art+books, which fed back
                                        into artistic culture as reflection...
                                        But not many of my students have been interested in following the trail of
                                        research in quite those directions.

                                        cheers,

                                        Ted Hand
                                        MA Student, Graduate Theological Union
                                        (I've only taught one alchemy course to grad students)

                                        On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Thomas Mether <t_mether@...> wrote:

                                        > Bruce,
                                        >
                                        > I actually have one of the original Splendor Solis. In terms of its value,
                                        > it is compromised in that it was re-bound, before I bought it. But then
                                        > again, without that, it would have been lost entire. I also have copies
                                        > of the Phanes Press edition.
                                        >
                                        > What I'm suggesting is an issue is not just text and graphics, in the book
                                        > age, but the method of manufacture and watermarks on the paper. The physical
                                        > culture of making a book of spiritual importance means a mere copy of it is
                                        > not a true copy in terms of its meaning/contents.
                                        >
                                        > So, it becomes whether a fascimile is, indeed, one. This really only
                                        > pertains to texts after there is a book technology where all is not the
                                        > print contents (text or pictures). Thomas
                                        >

                                        > --- On Thu, 12/9/10, Bruce MacLennan <mclennan@...<mclennan%40eecs.utk.edu>>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >
                                        > From: Bruce MacLennan <mclennan@... <mclennan%40eecs.utk.edu>>
                                        >
                                        > Subject: Re: [neoplatonism] Help!: Christmas Wish List
                                        > To: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com <neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        > Date: Thursday, December 9, 2010, 12:33 PM
                                        >

                                        > Thomas et al.,
                                        >
                                        > On the theme of the Red Book, if price is no object, the M. Moleiro
                                        > facsimile of the Splendor Solis is gift I would love to find under the
                                        > Saturnalia Tree!
                                        >
                                        > <http://www.moleiro.com/en/miscellanea/splendor-solis.html>.
                                        >
                                        > (No price is posted on the website. You know, "If you have to ask..." For
                                        > the rest of us, it's above $7K.)
                                        >
                                        > Bona Saturnalia!
                                        > Bruce MacLennan

                                      • Bruce MacLennan
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 11, 2010
                                          Thomas,

                                          On Dec 10, 2010, at 7:31 PM, Thomas Mether wrote:

                                          > I actually have one of the original Splendor Solis. In terms of its value, it is compromised in that it was re-bound, before I bought it. But then again, without that, it would have been lost entire. I also have copies of the Phanes Press edition.

                                          I'm truly envious! Other good (but more reasonably priced than Moleiro) reproductions of the Harley Splendor Solis paintings are in Henderson and Sherwood's _Transformations of the Psyche: The Symbolic Alchemy of the Splendor Solis_ (Brunner-Routledge, 2003): obviously a Jungian analysis.

                                          > What I'm suggesting is an issue is not just text and graphics, in the book age, but the method of manufacture and watermarks on the paper. The physical culture of making a book of spiritual importance means a mere copy of it is not a true copy in terms of its meaning/contents.
                                          >
                                          > So, it becomes whether a fascimile is, indeed, one. This really only pertains to texts after there is a book technology where all is not the print contents (text or pictures). Thomas

                                          So, we could say that the usual sort of facsimile or digitization is merely a *reflection* of the original, whereas a true facsimile would be a *transmission* of the original!

                                          More seriously, is there documentation or other evidence for a spiritual practice of making manufactured (as opposed to hand-made) books? Would this be a sort of empsychosis of printed books?

                                          Best,
                                          Bruce

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                                            Ted,
                                            Finals and Holidays have kept me busy. We can continue this conversation on or off list. I am now just acknowledging emails important enough to acknowledge I've read with interest.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 19, 2010
                                              Bruce,

                                              I'm afraid I need to reply to you the same way I did Ted.