How to order: Metaphysical Patterns in Platonism (Finamore and Berchman)

  • eevakallio
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
      Hello all,

      I have been trying to get the book 'Metaphysical Patterns in Platonism´
      edited by John Finamore and Robert Berchman (University Press of the South, 2007). Is the only possibility to order it from the University Press' webpage? I am sorry to say this but it does not seem to be webpage I trust to order the book - it seems that there are not proper ways of paying, like PayPal.

      Is this book (and other books of Platonism in the same press) possible to be order from other sellers?

      Thanks for answer in advance

      Eeva
    • Finamore, John F
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
        Dear Eeva,

        I believe that University Press of the South is defunct. They certainly do not answer emails. This would mean, unfortunately, that the book is no longer available. It is possible that I have a spare copy in my office on campus. I will look on Monday, and if so, will happily send you that copy. Send me an email at john-finamore@... if you are interested.

        John

        John F. Finamore
        Department of Classics
        210 Jefferson Building
        University of Iowa
        Iowa City, IA 52242
        Office: (319) 335-0288
        FAX: (319) 335-3884
        E-Mail: JOHN-FINAMORE@...
        Homepage: http://www.uiowa.edu/~classics/finamore/index.html

        On 11/13/10 3:50 AM, "eevakallio" <eevakallio@...> wrote:

        Hello all,

        I have been trying to get the book 'Metaphysical Patterns in Platonism�
        edited by John Finamore and Robert Berchman (University Press of the South, 2007). Is the only possibility to order it from the University Press' webpage? I am sorry to say this but it does not seem to be webpage I trust to order the book - it seems that there are not proper ways of paying, like PayPal.

        Is this book (and other books of Platonism in the same press) possible to be order from other sellers?

        Thanks for answer in advance

        Eeva

      • Jim Schumacher
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
          Here's some more information about University Press of the South:

          http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/02/victoria-strauss-university-press-of.html

          On Nov 13, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Finamore, John F wrote:

          > Dear Eeva,
          >
          > I believe that University Press of the South is defunct. They
          > certainly do not answer emails. This would mean, unfortunately,
          > that the book is no longer available. It is possible that I have a
          > spare copy in my office on campus. I will look on Monday, and if
          > so, will happily send you that copy. Send me an email at john-finamore@...
          > if you are interested.
          >
          > John
          >
          > John F. Finamore
          > Department of Classics
          > 210 Jefferson Building
          > University of Iowa
          > Iowa City, IA 52242
          > Office: (319) 335-0288
          > FAX: (319) 335-3884
          > E-Mail: JOHN-FINAMORE@...
          > Homepage: http://www.uiowa.edu/~classics/finamore/index.html
          >

          > On 11/13/10 3:50 AM, "eevakallio" <eevakallio@...> wrote:
          >

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I have been trying to get the book 'Metaphysical Patterns in
          > Platonism´
          > edited by John Finamore and Robert Berchman (University Press of the
          > South, 2007). Is the only possibility to order it from the
          > University Press' webpage? I am sorry to say this but it does not
          > seem to be webpage I trust to order the book - it seems that there
          > are not proper ways of paying, like PayPal.
          >
          > Is this book (and other books of Platonism in the same press)
          > possible to be order from other sellers?
          >
          > Thanks for answer in advance
          >
          > Eeva

        • Bruce MacLennan
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
            Hi John,

            On Nov 13, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Finamore, John F wrote:

            > I believe that University Press of the South is defunct. They certainly do not answer emails. This would mean, unfortunately, that the book is no longer available.

            If that is so, I wonder if ISNS could get the copyright back. The book might be kept in print as an ebook, sold to Dover, or made available gratis on the ISNS site.

            Best,
            Bruce
          • Finamore, John F
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
              Bruce,

              Coincidentally, I am right now drafting an email to Alain at UPS on that very topic. Great minds.

              John

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
                The University Press of the South may now be defunct but they certainly operated as if they were back when they were still in business. I had a devil of the time getting a copy of a book I was co-author of and the person who emailed me after I sent 6 months worth of emails finally came back saying it was out of print, and in my case (since I made some strong comments about competently run businesses), would be permanently out of print even if others were able to buy it. I had to get my copy from Jay Bregman.

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
                  Good question.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
                    Correction: contributing author.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010
                      Well, I have tried to find the book from Amazon (US, UK and DE), and some other booksellers, and found it not. It seems it is sold out. There is also another book of Platonism I'm interested from the same publisher and I wonder if it is the same with that book, too. -Strange that the website is still open and at face value 'operating'. Eeva

                      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Jim Schumacher <JimHydePark@...> wrote:

                      > Here's some more information about University Press of the South:
                      >

                      > http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/02/victoria-strauss-university-press-of.html
                      >

                      > On Nov 13, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Finamore, John F wrote:
                      >
                      > > Dear Eeva,
                      > >
                      > > I believe that University Press of the South is defunct. They
                      > > certainly do not answer emails. This would mean, unfortunately,
                      > > that the book is no longer available. It is possible that I have a
                      > > spare copy in my office on campus. I will look on Monday, and if
                      > > so, will happily send you that copy. Send me an email at john-finamore@...
                      > > if you are interested.
                      > >
                      > > John
                      > >
                      > > John F. Finamore
                      > > Department of Classics
                      > > 210 Jefferson Building
                      > > University of Iowa
                      > > Iowa City, IA 52242
                      > > Office: (319) 335-0288
                      > > FAX: (319) 335-3884
                      > > E-Mail: JOHN-FINAMORE@...
                      > > Homepage: http://www.uiowa.edu/~classics/finamore/index.html
                      > >

                      > > On 11/13/10 3:50 AM, "eevakallio" <eevakallio@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hello all,
                      > >
                      > > I have been trying to get the book 'Metaphysical Patterns in
                      > > Platonism´
                      > > edited by John Finamore and Robert Berchman (University Press of the
                      > > South, 2007). Is the only possibility to order it from the
                      > > University Press' webpage? I am sorry to say this but it does not
                      > > seem to be webpage I trust to order the book - it seems that there
                      > > are not proper ways of paying, like PayPal.
                      > >
                      > > Is this book (and other books of Platonism in the same press)
                      > > possible to be order from other sellers?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for answer in advance
                      > >
                      > > Eeva

                    • Finamore, John F
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 14, 2010
                        Strange days indeed, as John Lennon wrote. Web sites can stay up for years without maintenance. It�s possible that UPS is still functioning at some level, but it�s hard to detect signs of life. Shortly after UPS published the anthology in 2007, the university library had great difficulty ordering a copy of the book. The reason, I surmise, is that UPS had made a very small initial run and had soon run out of copies to sell. By 2008, I was receiving emails from ISNS members who wanted the anthology but could not raise a response from UPS.

                        By the way the anthology from the 2008 ISNS conference in New Orleans is now in press with Academia Verlag (again edited by Rob Berchman and me). I don�t know what their turnaround time is, but I am expecting the anthology to appear early in 2011. I am also expecting ample copies and a good system of advertising and library placement.

                        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com> , Jim Schumacher <JimHydePark@...> wrote:

                        > Here's some more information about University Press of the South:
                        >

                        > http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/02/victoria-strauss-university-press-of.html
                        >

                        > On Nov 13, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Finamore, John F wrote:
                        >
                        > > Dear Eeva,
                        > >
                        > > I believe that University Press of the South is defunct. They
                        > > certainly do not answer emails. This would mean, unfortunately,
                        > > that the book is no longer available. It is possible that I have a
                        > > spare copy in my office on campus. I will look on Monday, and if
                        > > so, will happily send you that copy. Send me an email at john-finamore@...
                        > > if you are interested.
                        > >
                        > > John
                        > >
                        > > John F. Finamore
                        > > Department of Classics
                        > > 210 Jefferson Building
                        > > University of Iowa
                        > > Iowa City, IA 52242
                        > > Office: (319) 335-0288
                        > > FAX: (319) 335-3884
                        > > E-Mail: JOHN-FINAMORE@...
                        > > Homepage: http://www.uiowa.edu/~classics/finamore/index.html
                        > >

                        > > On 11/13/10 3:50 AM, "eevakallio" <eevakallio@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hello all,
                        > >
                        > > I have been trying to get the book 'Metaphysical Patterns in
                        > > Platonism�
                        > > edited by John Finamore and Robert Berchman (University Press of the
                        > > South, 2007). Is the only possibility to order it from the
                        > > University Press' webpage? I am sorry to say this but it does not
                        > > seem to be webpage I trust to order the book - it seems that there
                        > > are not proper ways of paying, like PayPal.
                        > >
                        > > Is this book (and other books of Platonism in the same press)
                        > > possible to be order from other sellers?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for answer in advance
                        > >
                        > > Eeva

                      • Finamore, John F
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 15, 2010
                          Eeva,

                          I did have one last copy of Metaphysical Patterns in my office. I have mailed it to you. I hope it arrives safely.

                          There still has been no response from Alain about the status of UPS. I�ll keep the group posted.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 15, 2010
                            It was to Alain that I sent 6 months worth of emails with no response. When I emailed him again that the press had shoddy customer service, it was Alain who sent off a nasty little note that the Bregman/Mineo edited book was out of print and would remain permanently out of print in my case. So, you may have to wait six months if they are still in business.

                            BTW, I did a little experiment to see if any other UPS titles were available at Amazon. It was not extensive but four or five. None were available.

                                I did have one last copy of Metaphysical Patterns in my office.  I have mailed it to you.  I hope it arrives safely.

                                There still has been no response from Alain about the status of UPS.  I値l keep the group posted.

                            John

                            John F. Finamore
                            Department of Classics
                            210 Jefferson Building
                            University of Iowa
                            Iowa City, IA 52242
                            Office:  (319) 335-0288
                            FAX: (319) 335-3884
                            E-Mail:  JOHN-FINAMORE@...
                            Homepage:  http://www.uiowa.edu/~classics/finamore/index.html

                            On 11/13/10 3:50 AM, "eevakallio" <eevakallio@...> wrote:

                            Hello all,

                            I have been trying to get the book 'Metaphysical Patterns in Platonismエ

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 22, 2010
                              Dear John,

                              the book arrived today and I am very happy to get it.
                              Thanks so much!

                              Eeva