Everywhere and Nowhere

  • dgallagher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2010
      Feeling I had seen the center and circumference quote in Plotinus, I went
      digging. It so seemed the sort of thing he might say in one of his
      numerous references to circles. Result: it's nowhere to be found in the Enneads.
      But the effort was not totally disappointing as illustrated by:

      How, then, does Unity give rise to Multiplicity? By its omnipresence:
      there is nowhere where it is not; it occupies, therefore, all that is; at
      once, it is manifold—or, rather, it is all things. If it were simply and
      solely everywhere, all would be this one thing alone: but it is, also, in no
      place, and this gives in the final result that while all exists by means of
      it, in virtue of its omnipresence, all is distinct from it in virtue of its
      being nowhere. But why is it not merely present everywhere but in addition
      nowherepresent? Because universality demands a previous unity. It must,
      therefore, pervade all things and make all, but not be the universe which it
      makes. III.9.4
      Soul thus is nowhere but in the Principle which has that characteristic
      existence at once nowhere and everywhere. V.2.2
      But if the ‘nowhere’ is to stand and the ascription of a ‘where’,
      implying station in the extern, is to fall, then nothing can be left void; and at
      once—nothing void, yet no point containing—God is sovranly present
      through all. We cannot think of something of God here and something else there,
      nor of all God gathered at some one spot: there is an instantaneous
      presence everywhere, nothing containing and nothing left void, everything
      therefore fully held by the divine. V.5.9
      We maintain, and it is evident truth, that the Supreme is everywhere and
      yet nowhere; keeping this constantly in mind let us see how it bears on our
      present inquiry. VI.8.16
      And, might the V.5.9 quote resonate with the Buddhist idea of emptiness of
      inherent existence?
      David

    • Thomas Sullivan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2010
        On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM, <dgallagher@...> wrote:

        > Feeling I had seen the center and circumference quote in Plotinus, I went
        > digging. It so seemed the sort of thing he might say in one of his
        > numerous references to circles. Result: it's nowhere to be found in the
        > Enneads.
        > But the effort was not totally disappointing as illustrated by:
        >

        > How, then, does Unity give rise to Multiplicity?
        > David

        Salutations:
        Please pardon that I have snipped out some of your post.
        I wish to make a stab at the following Question.
        " How then does unity rise to multiplicity?"
        This may be seen in YHVH .
        I am to lazy today to type the very long answer myself.So as is the custom
        of this mailing list I will reference something else.
        See the Mystical significance of the Hebrew letters.
        http://www.templesanjose.org/JudaismInfo/tradition/Kabbalah/alephbet.pdf
        Look at: YUD HEI VAV HEI It is my opinion, that from a Mystical
        point of View- if nothing else- this will help in grasping this.
        Thank you
        Frater Tom F.R.C.

        Thomas F. Sullivan