Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Ficinian 'polytheism' and modern cultural dynamics

  • Thomas Sullivan
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 5, 2010
      Plotinus felt that the configurations of the stars signified the course of
      events on earth, but it did not cause them. He is quite firm on that. See
      Ennead II 3 in particular. JMD
      FROM THE ENNEAD

      "1. That the circuit of the stars indicates definite events to come but
      without being the cause direct of all that happens, has been elsewhere
      affirmed, and proved by some modicum of argument: but the subject demands
      more precise and detailed investigation for to take the one view rather than
      the other is of no small moment. "

      This does not specifically say that he gave credence to astrology.
      That in and of itself does not answer my query.
      Please read once more:

      -"- My query would have to do with how this system might fit within the
      texture
      > of emanations as put forth by the philosopher plotinus.
      > What possible baring might some planetary alignment have to do with the
      > workings of human kind, and what mechanism or pathway would this system
      use
      > for the delivery of such?"

      Respectfuly JMD >>>>>>>>>>Plotinus felt that the configurations of the
      stars signified the course of
      events on earth, but it did not cause them. He is quite firm on that. See
      Ennead II 3 in particular. JMD>>>>>>>>> Does not come even close to
      answering the query,but is some stab at trying to justify that plotinus was
      some follow of MADAME CRYSTAL BALL the astrologer.
      That is strongly disagreed with.
      Frater Tom F.R.C.

      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 6, 2010
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, John Dillon <jmdillon@...> wrote:

        > > Dear Prof. Dillon, I am honored that you would even glance at something I
        > > wrote. I would indeed be most interested in reading the address you gave in
        > > June. Perhaps it is the talk abstracted here:
        > >
        > > http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/html/conference.html
        > >
        > > which seems very relevant to modern culture. Maybe when the pamphlet is ready
        > > you could announce it here, no doubt many others would like to read it as
        > > well.
        > >
        > > All best,
        > >
        > > John Uebersax
        > >

        > John- just to say that I sent off a copy of the pamphlet to you today.
        > Should be the in a week or so! Also ventured to mention your name to a
        > fellow, Bill Hatch, who has jus written a most stimulating article in
        > CounterPunch about the impending rape of the Central Valley by speculators.
        > He lives in Merced. He might get onto you. John

        Counterpunch - part of my daily online reading, glum as it as gotten, particularly of late with this election coming up soon now, and so many wonderful candidates from the new "know-nothings" blathering on in the ether, one of whom is actually denying in her ads that she is a witch, claiming she is rather "just one of us." Beware whenever a politician tells you that.

        I ask myself, how did things deteriorate to this level? If it weren't so serious it would all be laughable, admittedly in a low farce sort of way. Frequently some new low presents itself, and I wonder what my parents would have made of the latest degradation.

        But at least there is some sanity still online - counterpunch and truthdig and American Prospect and Mother Jones.

        And this group for other reasons!!! Thanks to you all for the lifeline!

        I will have to take a look and see the latest. Those horrific giant cattle feed lots are a huge problem. The valley is so polluted now, even towns in the foothills are affected. And they are creating the same problem up here in Washington now, over in the Yakima Valley, east of the Cascades. They also ruin the water table below ground.