Re: Ficinian 'polytheism' and modern cultural dynamics

    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 1, 2010
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, leslie greenhill <neoplatonist2000@...> wrote:

      > Dennis
      >
      > Loved the passion in your posting.  Nice to hear someone bring up a great and thoughtful movie - "Forbidden Planet".
      >
      > Les

      Thanks, but I probably should apologize for inflicting such an overtly personal political rant here at this forum, whose focus obviously has nothing to do with modern American politics.

      Never apologize, never explain, but I will only say I have never been so concerned and dismayed, as things here get worse each day as this election approaches, and the so called public discourse further degenerates into more and more hateful lies and distortions and diversions from the real problems, and the general meanness just keeps on getting worse - a boy at Rutgers killing himself because of a video of him posted by his spying roommate on the Web, the assistant attorney general of the State of Michigan relentlessly stalking and harassing, both off- and online, a 21 year old college student, president of the student council at the University of Michigan merely because the boy is gay - and these are but two pointed current examples of the continuing coarsening of life here. Confronted with all this, and being mindful still of the nearly constant mention from my parents when I was young about the horrors of the great Depression from their youth, I try now not to think too much of history, particularly in this case, of the Weimar Republic.

      Except here fascism would most likely come not at first with the jack boots, rather in high heels, faux-perky, with a vacuous grin as the trompe-l'œil persona diverting attention from the true malicious power masked, behind the scenes, not smiling at all behind that nasty "mimicus risus".

      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 6, 2010
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, John Dillon <jmdillon@...> wrote:

        > > Dear Prof. Dillon, I am honored that you would even glance at something I
        > > wrote. I would indeed be most interested in reading the address you gave in
        > > June. Perhaps it is the talk abstracted here:
        > >
        > > http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/html/conference.html
        > >
        > > which seems very relevant to modern culture. Maybe when the pamphlet is ready
        > > you could announce it here, no doubt many others would like to read it as
        > > well.
        > >
        > > All best,
        > >
        > > John Uebersax
        > >

        > John- just to say that I sent off a copy of the pamphlet to you today.
        > Should be the in a week or so! Also ventured to mention your name to a
        > fellow, Bill Hatch, who has jus written a most stimulating article in
        > CounterPunch about the impending rape of the Central Valley by speculators.
        > He lives in Merced. He might get onto you. John

        Counterpunch - part of my daily online reading, glum as it as gotten, particularly of late with this election coming up soon now, and so many wonderful candidates from the new "know-nothings" blathering on in the ether, one of whom is actually denying in her ads that she is a witch, claiming she is rather "just one of us." Beware whenever a politician tells you that.

        I ask myself, how did things deteriorate to this level? If it weren't so serious it would all be laughable, admittedly in a low farce sort of way. Frequently some new low presents itself, and I wonder what my parents would have made of the latest degradation.

        But at least there is some sanity still online - counterpunch and truthdig and American Prospect and Mother Jones.

        And this group for other reasons!!! Thanks to you all for the lifeline!

        I will have to take a look and see the latest. Those horrific giant cattle feed lots are a huge problem. The valley is so polluted now, even towns in the foothills are affected. And they are creating the same problem up here in Washington now, over in the Yakima Valley, east of the Cascades. They also ruin the water table below ground.