Re: [neoplatonism] Platonism and public service

  • dgallagher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 26, 2010
      Thanks, John. Public service, indeed. Kudos to you and your intention.
      In Providence there is Hope eternally springing. Such is the nature of the
      bodhisattva returning to the cave. And you've answered my next question on
      your website: No donations accepted. Money's the problem with politics.
      Wish I were local to volunteer.

      With you in spirit,
      David

      In a message dated 9/26/2010 11:18:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      john.uebersax@... writes:

      David wrote:

      > District in order to follow?

      California's 22nd Congressional District. A map is linked to my campaign
      website: _http://www.john-uebersax.com_ (http://www.john-uebersax.com/)

      The politicians have gerrymandered the District to strongly favor
      Republicans, and the adjacent District to strongly favor Democrats. It seems fairly
      evident that the two parties cooperate to exclude third parties and
      independents.

      My goal isn't to win an election, but hearts and minds -- if just of a few
      people. The incumbent is running unopposed. When I learned that I felt I
      should give opponents to the war the moral option to express their opinion.
      My name won't even be on the printed ballot, but I have jumped through the
      required hoops so that write-in votes will be counted (without these steps,
      write-in votes are thrown out, at least in California).

      If nothing else, this is educational -- an opportunity to see how the two
      parties use regulations to monopolize politics.

      I'd be satisfied to get 100 votes. 1000 would be a moral victory of sorts,
      possibly enough to demonstrate to the incumbent that he isn't
      unassailable. I am in any case entirely reliant on Providence. Detachment is, for me,
      almost the whole point.