ancient philosophy article on Plato's Pythagorean divisions in the dialogues?

  • Sara Rappe
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
      perhaps someone can direct me to the author or article title: a friend
      at the International Plato Society was telling me about someone
      recently publishing on the divisions of the dialogues in terms of
      distance from the center, intervals, and the musical relationships
      discoverable. I have a student working on this topic and need to give
      her the reference.
      With thanks for any clues.
      Sara
    • Finamore, John F
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
        Sara,

        The article, by Jay Kennedy, appeared in Apeiron recently. There�s a pdf of it available on Kennedy�s web page:

        http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/jay.kennedy/

        Click on �Links to Papers and Files.�

        John Finamore

        On 8/10/10 2:36 PM, "sara" <rappe@...> wrote:

        perhaps someone can direct me to the author or article title: a friend
        at the International Plato Society was telling me about someone
        recently publishing on the divisions of the dialogues in terms of
        distance from the center, intervals, and the musical relationships
        discoverable. I have a student working on this topic and need to give
        her the reference.
        With thanks for any clues.
        Sara

      • Christoph Helmig
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
          In this context, I would also like to draw your
          attention to the Tuebingen lectures delivered by Egil Wyller;
          these lectures have been published under the title "Der spaete Platon" (Hamburg 1970);
          Wyller argues that Platonic dialogues have an "omphalos-structure",
          with a centre (omphalos), an ascent and a descent.

          The most intriguing thing about his approach is that
          he tries to visualize these structures by means of diagrams.

          Best,
          Christoph

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010
            Hi, Sara,

            Here is the link. Sorry I missed the meeting in Tokyo.

            All the best,

            Lloyd

            http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/jay.kennedy/#Introduction_for_Sch

            Quoting Sara Rappe <rappe@...>:

            > perhaps someone can direct me to the author or article title: a friend
            > at the International Plato Society was telling me about someone
            > recently publishing on the divisions of the dialogues in terms of
            > distance from the center, intervals, and the musical relationships
            > discoverable. I have a student working on this topic and need to give
            > her the reference.
            > With thanks for any clues.
            > Sara

            Professor Lloyd P. Gerson
            Department of Philosophy
            University of Toronto
            170 St. George St.
            Toronto, ON
            M5R 2M8
            Canada
            lloyd.gerson@...
          • John Dillon
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2010

              > perhaps someone can direct me to the author or article title: a friend
              > at the International Plato Society was telling me about someone
              > recently publishing on the divisions of the dialogues in terms of
              > distance from the center, intervals, and the musical relationships
              > discoverable. I have a student working on this topic and need to give
              > her the reference.
              > With thanks for any clues.
              > Sara

              That will be Jay Kennedy. Check him out on the Internet! JMD