Re: [neoplatonism] help with possible reference to Phaedrus in Plotinus 5.8.4

  • Tim Addey
    Message 1 of 34 , May 28, 2010
      Michael

      You may be interested in the translations of Thomas Taylor of these two
      passages, where there is very close agreement between Plato and
      Plotinus' Plato:

      Phaedrus 247d: But in this circuit it beholds justice herself, it
      beholds temperance, and science herself: not that with which generation
      is present, nor in which one thing has a particular local residence in
      another, and to which we give the appellation of beings; but that which
      is science in true being.

      Plotinus, V, viii, 4: But if anyone doubts concerning our sciences, we
      must neglect the discussion for the present, at the same time assuming
      an occasion from hence, let us dispute concerning that science, which
      Plato beholding in the intelligible world says, that science there is
      not one thing in another.

      Tim Addey

      Michael Wakoff wrote:
      > Dear all,
      >
      > I am trying to identify the passage in Plato that Plotinus refers to in
      > 5.8.4.53-55. In the source of quotations in the back of the 1969
      > MacKenna, it says it is Phaedrus 247d. However, when I read Phaedrus
      > 247d, I don't see where it says anything like what Plotinus quotes Plato
      > as saying. I am at a disadvantage since I'm Greekless, so I can compare
      > only the English translation of Plotinus with the English translation of
      > Plato.
      >
      > 5.8.4.53-55 in Armstrong's translation reads:
      >
      > but about the knowledge there--which Plato observed and said "that which
      > is not a knowledge different from that in which it is"
      >
      > I have the Hackforth translation of Phaedrus in the Bollingen Collected
      > Works. Is it perhaps this line:
      >
      > "not that knowledge that is neighbor to becoming and varies with the
      > various objects..." (Phd 247d-e)
      >
      > Perhaps a different translation of either the Plotinus or the Plato
      > passage will reveal how they agree or perhaps the source is listed
      > incorrectly. If anyone is able to identify the passage in Plato, I'd
      > appreciate it if you would supply enough of the English translation so I
      > can identify the passage in my translation of the dialogues.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Michael Wakoff
      >

      > (I'll cite the passage in English since I'm Greekless.)

    • John Uebersax
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 17, 2010
        Excellent paper, Mike.  Thanks for posting it.  It addresses the question I asked splendily.

        All the best,