Re: [neoplatonism] help with possible reference to Phaedrus in Plotinus 5.8.4

  • Goya
    Message 1 of 34 , May 28, 2010
      Hello Michael,

      >The reference to Phaedrus 247d is the one given by the best critical
      edition of the Greek, Henry-Schwyzer's editio maior. It's almost
      certainly correct, I think. Here's the Greek with transliteration of
      passages, wth my translation:

      Plotinus:

      ἣν δὴ καὶ ὁ
      Πλάτων
      κατιδών φησιν·
      οὐδ’ ἥτις
      ἐστὶν ἄλλη ἐν
      ἄλλῳ,
      *hên dê ho Platôn katidôn phêsin : oud hêtis estin allê en allôi*

      The one Plato describes, after had had seen it : "Not the one that is
      different in different things..."

      Plato Phaedrus:257d-e:

      ἐν δὲ τῇ
      περιόδῳ
      καθορᾷ μὲν
      αὐτὴν
      δικαιοσύνην,
      καθορᾷ δὲ
      σωφροσύνην,
      καθορᾷ δὲ
      ἐπιστήμην,
      οὐχ ᾗ γένεσις
      πρόσεστιν,
      *οὐδ’ ἥ ἐστίν
      που ἑτέρα ἐν
      ἑτέρῳ οὖσα* ὧν
      ἡμεῖς νῦν
      ὄντων
      καλοῦμεν,
      ἀλλὰ τὴν ἐν τῷ
      ὅ ἐστιν ὂν
      ὄντως
      ἐπιστήμην
      οὖσαν

      *oud' hê estin pou hetera en heterôi ousa*

      ...not the one [sc. the knowledge] that is somehow different when it is in
      something different.

      So we have to do, not with a quotation, but with an allusion to the
      Platonic text, which Plotinus paraphrases freely (as Harder/Theiler point
      out in their edition)

      HTH, Mike

    • John Uebersax
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 17 12:34 PM
        Excellent paper, Mike.  Thanks for posting it.  It addresses the question I asked splendily.

        All the best,