Re: [neoplatonism] Arabic texts of the Theology of Aristotle & Liber de Causis?

  • PETER S ADAMSON
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Nima Hazini wrote:

      > Can anyone direct me to the most recent editions of the Arabic texts
      > of the Theology of Aristotle and Liber de Causis, and who edited
      > them? Thanks.

      Thanks to Prof Langermann for mentioning my book. The arabic editions
      are, as noted, for the Theology (and the rest of the Arabic Plotinus
      except for a few bits still only in manuscript at Oxford) Badawi's
      edition; for the de Causis there is both a Latin and an Arabic edition
      by Bardenhewer. This is quite old, however, and needs some
      adjustment. Richard Taylor did a new edition in his PhD thesis at
      Toronto in the 80's I think, but this has never been published.

      Translations: there is a translation of all of the Arabic Plotinus in
      vol 2 of the Henry and Schwyzer edition o Plotinus' Enneads, facing the
      relevant Greek pages, by Geoffrey Lewis (based on his Oxford
      thesis). This is helpful for reading the Arabic text because he makes
      numerous different (almmost always better) readings than Badawi, and you
      can reconstruct these from his english even if you don't have his
      thesis. The best English trans. of the de Causis is actually in the
      recent translation of Aquinas' commentary on the text. This has very
      useful footnotes on the de Causis and the Arabic text, again by Taylor.

      Hope that's helpful,
      Peter Adamson
    • Edward Moore
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2007
        It is my understanding that the translation in Dillon and Gerson, Neoplatonic Philosophy: Introductory Readings (2004) is the only English translation available.

        The letter itself is fragmentary, and I believe that the Dillon and Gerson translation is 'complete' as far as possible. Of course, you'd have to look at Stobaeus carefully to be sure. My computer is giving me trouble at the moment, so I can't access my TLG.

        All the best,

        Edward

        Wheree can i find this text? has it been translated?
        thanks,
        Sara
        p.s. I know that part of this letter is in Dillon and Gerson's
        translations but I need the whole thing.
        thanks again

      • Sara Ahbel-Rappe
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2007

            > It is my understanding that the translation in Dillon and Gerson, Neoplatonic
            > Philosophy: Introductory Readings (2004) is the only English translation
            > available.
            >
            > The letter itself is fragmentary, and I believe that the Dillon and Gerson
            > translation is 'complete' as far as possible. Of course, you'd have to look
            > at Stobaeus carefully to be sure. My computer is giving me trouble at the
            > moment, so I can't access my TLG.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Edward

            Yes, that is so, I think. And that is all there is of the Letter, as it is
            all that Stobaeus chose to transcribe. A full edition, with translation and
            commentary, of the (fragmentary) Letters of Iamblichus will be published
            before the end of 2008 by John Dillon and Wolfgang Polleichner, with SBL
            Publications. JMD