Virgil question

  • Merrily Harpur
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2010
      Sorry to pick your collective brain again, but I have been searching unsuccessfully for a source for the quotation - "Each of us finds the world of death fitted to himself". I think it comes from Virgil somewhere... Can you help?

      Merrily

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2010
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Merrily Harpur" <m.harpur@...> wrote:

        > Sorry to pick your collective brain again, but I have been searching unsuccessfully for a source for the quotation - "Each of us finds the world of death fitted to himself". I think it comes from Virgil somewhere... Can you help?
        >
        > Merrily

        Yup, Aeneid VI.743, "quisque suos patimur Manis".

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2010
          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Merrily Harpur" <m.harpur@...> wrote:

          > Sorry to pick your collective brain again, but I have been searching unsuccessfully for a source for the quotation - "Each of us finds the world of death fitted to himself". I think it comes from Virgil somewhere... Can you help?
          >
          > Merrily

          Here's an English translation online at Google Books - the tag is a part of Anchises' speech to Aeneas explaining what happens to souls after death. The line is on p.169 of this translation.

          http://books.google.com/books?id=yf63WTQVb2QC&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq='Each+of+us+finds+the+world+of+death+fitted+to+himself%22+virgil&source=bl&ots=22BpAuSWGS&sig=Qc4S3Pav_tuXDbvLeY-VP4PhcH8&hl=en&ei=7OtyS9P0Bo2esgOE0_C0BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

          Dennis Clark
        • Merrily Harpur
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2010
            Dennis, thank you so much! A more comprehensive answer than I could possibly
            have hoped for... much appreciated.

            Merrily

            >> Sorry to pick your collective brain again, but I have been searching
            >> unsuccessfully for a source for the quotation - "Each of us finds the
            >> world of death fitted to himself". I think it comes from Virgil
            >> somewhere... Can you help?
            >>
            >> Merrily

            > Here's an English translation online at Google Books - the tag is a part
            > of Anchises' speech to Aeneas explaining what happens to souls after
            > death. The line is on p.169 of this translation.
            >
            > http://books.google.com/books?id=yf63WTQVb2QC&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq='Each+of+us+finds+the+world+of+death+fitted+to+himself%22+virgil&source=bl&ots=22BpAuSWGS&sig=Qc4S3Pav_tuXDbvLeY-VP4PhcH8&hl=en&ei=7OtyS9P0Bo2esgOE0_C0BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

            19:35:00
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2010
              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Merrily Harpur" <m.harpur@...> wrote:

              > Dennis, thank you so much! A more comprehensive answer than I could possibly
              > have hoped for... much appreciated.
              >
              > Merrily

              My pleasure - it was nice to dip into Book VI again, after a long time.